Removing valve guides

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Removing valve guides

I have been needing to replace the valve guides on my head. They are worn out and I want to use aftermarket guides so I can use bigger cams. Looked at a few youtube videos and got an idea of how to go about it. So I thought I would do a trial run on a spare head I have collecting dust.
    Honey whats for dinner? Well done GS1100 head dear!! I cooked steaks on the BBQ an hour or so after doing this
    I was able to knock out all 8 intake guides with one heating. One good smack to get it moving and just tap it out. I didnt try the exhaust guides because of the carbon buildup. BBQ has a temp gauge, i kept it between 3-400 Deg F
    I had bought a proper tool for the job but the tip broke off, so I made one out of some 3/8" steel with a guide inserted in the end.
    Why do this myself? Because I am cheap and I dont trust my local machine shop to do anything but do parts wash

I like how the manual specifies heating the head with an oil bath. Who the hell has that? Even pretty well-equipped machine shops would use an oven rather than keep a huge fire hazard on "simmer".

Why yes, I'll just use this huge flaming cauldron of boiling oil that just happens to be found in every well-equipped garage and medieval castle parapet.
    1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
    2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
    2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
    Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Co-host of "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at tro.bike!

Comment

Working...
    X