Repair shop Needed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Repair shop Needed

I need a Good Tech or Repair shop located in the Portland OR or Vancouver WA area. My 82 GS1100E needs and the top end gone through. Can anyone help?

Thanks,

Originally posted by zuzu View Post
    ..... My 82 GS1100E needs and the top end gone through. Can anyone help?

Thanks,
    What are the symptoms of your problem(s)? mileage?
    1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

Tony!

Haven't seen you in a long time.

What's wrong with your bike?
      1978 GS 1000 (since new)
      1979 GS 1000 (The Fridge, superbike replica project)
      1978 GS 1000 (parts)
      1981 GS 850 (anyone want a project?)
      1981 GPZ 550 (backroad screamer)
      1970 450 Mk IIID (THUMP!)
      2007 DRz 400S
      1999 ATK 490ES
      1994 DR 350SES

Comment

Let me guess, low compression?

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Originally posted by zuzu View Post
          I need a Good Tech or Repair shop located in the Portland OR or Vancouver WA area. My 82 GS1100E needs and the top end gone through. Can anyone help?

Thanks,
          Try 'Cycle Specialties'. They work on all types of bikes and their work is impeccable.
          As Big T says, where have you been??
          Last edited by Guest; 04-09-2013, 06:44 PM.

Comment

Look in the mirror... there's the only mechanic who gives a damn about you and your bike.
            1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
            2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
            2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
            Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Co-host of "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at tro.bike!

Comment

Hi Guys.

Four years ago a 100 year old man pulled out in front of me in his Lincon town car while I was riding the Suzuki down one of the main streets here in town. In the accident my my knee cap was shattered . The bike had very little damage and was able to be driven away. I have had three surgery's trying to repair the knee and am just starting to ride again.

The bike developed a fair oil leak from the head gasket between the 1st and second cylinder a few weeks ago. It is also due for Valve guide seals and I might as well through some rings on, as I believe a couple oil rings are stuck from 20 years of mostly sitting. The bike rides nice though.

Hope everyone is doing well!
              Last edited by Guest; 04-09-2013, 07:28 PM.

Comment

I have read there's two O rings in the front of the head that can cause leaks, it's item 17 here on the parts fiche.
                sigpic
                Steve
                "The world is a book, and those who do not travel read only one page."

Comment

Originally posted by bwringer View Post
                  Look in the mirror... there's the only mechanic who gives a damn about you and your bike.
                  Unfortunately that same mirror will lie like a dog.................

Comment

That's the area. Can you replace these by removing the cam cover?

Even if it is the O rings, I may still want the top end done.

Thanks sedelen,

Comment

Seriously, you need to consider doing things yourself. Most shops will not touch bikes of this vintage or if they do they will charge a fortune. Few techicians today know how to work these old bikes to so you stand the chance of getting things buggered up as well.

They are not difficult to sort out and all the expertise you will ever need is right here.
                      Do yourself a huge favour and get to it yourself........or failing that buy me a ticket and promise to supply all the food and booze and I'll be right there.

Seriously, you can do this yourself and the bonus is you will feel 10 ft. tall knowing you did it your bad self!

good luck brother.
                      Spyug

Comment

Originally posted by spyug View Post
                        Seriously, you need to consider doing things yourself. Most shops will not touch bikes of this vintage or if they do they will charge a fortune. Few techicians today know how to work these old bikes to so you stand the chance of getting things buggered up as well.

They are not difficult to sort out and all the expertise you will ever need is right here.
                        Do yourself a huge favour and get to it yourself........or failing that buy me a ticket and promise to supply all the food and booze and I'll be right there.

Seriously, you can do this yourself and the bonus is you will feel 10 ft. tall knowing you did it your bad self!

good luck brother.
                        Spyug
                        Not everyone wrenches, its just reality. Someone people do it with their checkbook

Comment

Post number 41 and 47 for reference

Are you doing a restoration project of some kind on a GS? Let everyone see what you are doing by posting the details here.

Comment

Originally posted by jwhelan65 View Post
                            Post number 41 and 47 for reference

http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...=155027&page=4
                            That was a very interesting thread.
                            Beautiful craftmanship on that bike.
                            sigpic
                            Steve
                            "The world is a book, and those who do not travel read only one page."

Comment

Thanks jwhelan65 great info,

That looks like where my problem is. Should be able to replace the O Rings by removing the Valve cover.
                              Now I need to decide if I just want to fix the oil leak or do the whole top end.
                              It runs so nice I am leaning towards just fixing the leak. Looks like its time to order some parts.

Comment

Working...
                              X