Crank seal AARGH!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Crank seal AARGH!

So, I noticed a bit of oil on my right boot recently. Took of the ignition cover and Dyna plate and the seal was pushed out at the top enough to allow a bit of leakage. I loosened the outer main bolts and tapped it back in. I REALLY dont want to split the cases to put in a new seal. I did some searches about doing it and found some good info.
    The service manual doesnt say whether to put theebond on the seal for assembly. I have used it and have had problems with it squishing out when torquing the main studs down.
    So, Sealer on the seal or put it in dry? Maybe I used too much Threebond is slimy slippery stuff and I could see why it might cause problems. Maybe a little bit of some Ultra black?

Subscribed...

I have the same issue with my 81 750E...oil on boot

I researched this a while back and don't recall that the case needs to be split. IIRC the seal is removed and replaced just like a shift shaft seal, etc....

Mine doesn't leak enough to worry with yet...probably have more leaking from the cam chain tensioner but I'm interested to see how you effect the fix.
    sigpic
    1981 Suzuki GS750E (one owner), 1982 Suzuki GS750T (my "tinker" toy), Previous (First) Bike: 1979 GS425 (long gone)
    2002 Suzuki Bandit 1200S (new to me in 11/2011)

Comment

why would it have popped out in the first place? how long since the engine was rebuilt?
      1978 GS1085.

Just remember, an opinion without 3.14 is just an onion!

Comment

The seal can be replaced without splitting the cases. Case sealer (NOT RTV!!!) goes on the outside of the seal. Push the new seal into place gently and evenly with a long 8mm bolt threaded into the crankshaft, and assorted large sockets, washers, nuts, and spacers as needed. Don't just bash it in with a claw hammer...

Pay attention to the teensy rotation arrow on the new seal. On most, if not all, GS models, the seal is installed "wrong" side out. DAMHIK.
        1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
        2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
        2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
        Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Co-host of "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at tro.bike!

Comment

Well, when I tapped the seal back in, some of the rubber got sheared off by the sharp case edge. I retorqued the bolts and put a little Ultra black around the outer edge. Took it for a spirited run and just a tiny bit of oil where the cable comes out. Pulled the cover etc and the seal is still in place, cant see anywhere that is leaking.
          In my searches, I read that beveling the case edges where the seal goes helps the seal go in easier. And as bwringer says, pressing it in with an 8mm bolt on the crank instead of using a hammer works better.
          The engine is near new, 180-190 compression on all 4.
          I probably used too much threebond on the seal when it went in
          I ordered a new seal anyway, I dont trust the seal anymore.
          Last edited by Guest; 04-12-2013, 02:52 PM.

Comment

Working...
          X