1983 suzuki gs 750 shift pionts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1983 suzuki gs 750 shift pionts

hey everyone I have an 83 GS 750 and I usually shift at four k rpm, but my cousin told me not to shift until at least six or seven K is the normal and when are you supposed to shift on normal driving. also when I'm going about 65 on my bike I am in the fifth gear at around 5k rpm is that normal

It all boils down to your comfort level, but you can shift just before or just at redline....or anywhere before that....

sometimes I will wind her out, other times it's a slow paced ride and will shift way sooner....

by the way if your going to start shifting at the higher rpms, hold on well until you get used to it....

some bikes have even higher shift points, take for instance the FZ, it redlines at 10-11 thousand....at 5 thousand it can bring the front end up if you want...

Last edited by Guest; 04-18-2013, 08:08 PM.

Comment

but also when I cruise at 70 the RPM is like 5k is that too much on the engine or is that normal. is the bike supposed to be that loud when you're cruising at 70 or 75 and the bike is a 83 Suzuki GS 750 T

Comment

98% of time I just us 1 3 and 5 gears particularly with passenger. Does that make me old?
        Hondas
        '73 ATC70 '85 XL125S '02 XR650L
        Suzuki
        '83 gs750t vin#551 '97 DR650
        Kaw
        '89 KLR650

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by dmrblk2 View Post
          hey everyone I have an 83 GS 750 and I usually shift at four k rpm, but my cousin told me not to shift until at least six or seven K is the normal and when are you supposed to shift on normal driving. also when I'm going about 65 on my bike I am in the fifth gear at around 5k rpm is that normal
          Just ride it like you stole it, shift it when her tongue is hanging out. No you can shift it anywhere you want as long as you are not bogging the motor down. They do not like to lug down to much, cause's the motor to rattle , and buck. And cruising at 65mph , at 5K will not hurt that motor, she is just starting to breath. I've owned mine for 30 years and it is still fine never had a problem.
          Last edited by hjfisk; 04-19-2013, 05:56 AM.
          1984 GS1100GK newest addition to the heard
          80 GS 1000gt- most favorite ride love this bike
          1978 GS1000E- Known as "RoadKill" , Finished
          83 gs750ed- first new purchase
          85 EX500- vintage track weapon
          1958Ducati 98 Tourismo
          “Remember When in doubt use full throttle, It may not improve the situation ,but it will end the suspense ,
          If it isn't going to make it faster or safer it isn't worth doing

Comment

Replies

I don't even look at the Tach when I'm riding. These engines can take high revs but don't go crazy on them.

Shift like was suggested...as you feel comfortable doing so. It definitely depends on what the riding conditions are but learn to progress through the gears slowly as well as quickly.

Someone has a quote on their signature that says something like: "Learn how to ride fast because some day you'll need to". I believe that to be true.

EDIT: Post pics of your "T" on this thread when you get a chance: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...204459&page=13
            and taking it a step further, put the last 6 digits of your VIN in the post so we know your sequence number of your bike.

but also when I cruise at 70 the RPM is like 5k is that too much on the engine or is that normal. is the bike supposed to be that loud when you're cruising at 70 or 75 and the bike is a 83 Suzuki GS 750 T
            Think about the revs on your car...I have an SUV with a 3.5L/V6 engine. At 70 mph the tach is reading at/about 3K rpms. 5K rpms for a bike is about cruising speed...you'll go above that when you've learned how to go fast because you never know when you need to.

Originally posted by yasser View Post
            98% of time I just us 1 3 and 5 gears particularly with passenger. Does that make me old?
            Wait...you skip through the gears?

We all have our techniques...whatever works for you my "T" brother!

Ed
            Last edited by GSXR7ED; 04-19-2013, 08:09 AM.
            GS750TZ V&H/4-1, Progressive Shocks, Rebuilt MC/braided line, Tarozzi Stabilizer[Seq#2312]
            GS750TZ Parts Bike [Seq#6036]
            GSX-R750Y (Sold)

my opinion shouldn't be taken as gospel or in any way that would lead you to believe otherwise (30Sep2021)
            Originally posted by GSXR7ED
            Forums are pretty much unrecognizable conversations; simply because it's a smorgasbord of feedback...from people we don't know. It's not too difficult to ignore the things that need to be bypassed.

Comment

Motogp and Superbike rider, now riding instructor Reg Pridmore in his book advocates for street riding to always keep the revs up and he says 6000 is a good area. The idea being that the bike responds better. Suspension is set and you have power dialled in to make sudden manouvers (like getting out of the way) if need be.

I always thought that was a bit excessive but after trying it for awhile it does seem to be the way to go , for me at least. On some bikes revs like this make it too buzzee (mostly 2 cylinders) but on these bikes its not too intrusive. The power band is also in the higher revs so you will need to wind them up if you want to tap the performance.

The bottom line, though is what you feel comfortable with and no 65 mph at 5K is not stressing the bike at all.

Try different things and see what you feel most comfortable with. Like GKeeper says some day you might like to lug it, sometimes you'll enjoy making it scream.

Whatever you do just ride safely and enjoy.

spyug

Comment

I think decades of small block Chevy's have made North Americam's scared of using RPM's.God put them there for you to use

Comment

Working...
                X