Engine started making so clatter noise last night

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Engine started making so clatter noise last night

I have a suzuki gs 650g over the winter I rebuilt the carbs checked the valves and the bike was running very smooth last night got on the highway and was doing about 75 nothing major and I started to here some engine noise clattering it runs & idles great still and It did get me home however there is definatly some terminal sounding engine noise. you don't hear it when it is at idle only when you give it some gas. Does anyone have any advice where I should start to sort this out? Does it sound like I am better off just doing an engine swap?

Check the starter clutch first.
    1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
    1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

Starter clutch as Bill said, and the cam chain tensioner..it may have gotten stuck and if so it will clatter like a bad rod noise.
      MY BIKES..1977 GS 750 B, 1978 GS 1000 C (X2)
      1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

NEVER SNEAK UP ON A SLEEPING DOG..NOT EVEN YOUR OWN.

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

Clutch hub nut could have come loose also.
        1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

I may be speaking out of turn here, as I'm a rookie, but before cracking cases open get one of these for a few bucks and try to isolate the noise (if you can static)

but dont buy that one as its in China haha

Last edited by Guest; 04-19-2013, 05:35 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by tfamilyx5 View Post
            I have a suzuki gs 650g over the winter I rebuilt the carbs checked the valves ..... Does anyone have any advice where I should start to sort this out? Does it sound like I am better off just doing an engine swap?
            Did you change any shims (probably yes) ? after checking and altering any shims , did you rotate the engine a few times to make sure they are` all seated in buckets nicely?? Is this bike new to you? mileage?
            1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

I did not replace any shims they were all in spec I have tried to isolate where the sound is coming from and it does seem to be coming from top end I took of the stator to see if anything have come lose there it was in good shape. I will check the clutch to see if anything has come lose there. It has an auto cam tensioner how does that adjust? another thing to not if in neutral and I rev the motor up to 5 thousand RPM the noise goes away completely however if I ride it down the street can here the noise. could it be as simple as bad gas?

I have had the bike since Oct it only has about 16,000 miles and is very well taken care of almost brand new and has been running very smooth up until that momment all of a sudden

Comment

Like others have said, time to check the cam chain tensioner- it might be stuck. It's a very simple automatic device , so simple that folks often muck it up, during reinstall procedure. go here

You better remove camcover and go exploring - maybe a camcap bolt has loosened up.
                You're sure about the .001 to .003 inch valve clearances?
                1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

POOR MANS STETHESCOPE...Take a file with a plastic or wooden handle on it and place the handle to your ear. Place the file against the engine in variuos places to actually hear whats clattering. Yes you can actually hear the pistons moving in the jugs, the clutch rolling, etc etc.

Comment

Greetings and Salutations!!

Hi Mr. tfamilyx5,

These are not quiet engines, at least they're not supposed to be. But if it's a new noise then check all the "usual suspects" as has been mentioned.

Check it! The "mega-wecome" is in the house!

If you are here you probably have a 30 year old motorcycle that needs about 20 years worth of maintenance. You'll find all kinds of helpful tips, procedures, manuals, diagrams, "how-to" guides, etc, in the links below. Let's get started.

Let me dump a TON of information on you and share some GS lovin'.

I just stopped by to welcome you to the forum in my own, special way.

If there's anything you'd like to know about the Suzuki GS model bikes, and most others actually, you've come to the right place. There's a lot of knowledge and experience here in the community. Come on in and let me say "HOoooowwwDY!"....

Here is your very own magical, mystical, mythical, mind-expanding "mega-welcome". Please take notice of the "Top 10 Common Issues", "Top 15 Tips For GS Happiness", the Carb Cleanup Series, and the Stator Papers. All of these tasks must be addressed in order to have a safe, reliable machine. This is what NOT to do: Top 10 Newbie Mistakes. Now let me roll out the welcome mat for you...

Please Click Here For Your Mega-Welcome, chock full of tips, suggestions, links to vendors, and other information. Then feel free to visit my little BikeCliff website where I've been collecting the wisdom of this generous community. Don't forget, we like pictures! Not you, your bike!

More links to helpful threads in the forum:
                    Help! Your Bike Won't Start
                    DON'T DO THESE THINGS
                    Help! Your Bike Won't Run Well
                    Oh God! Pods!

Thanks for joining us. Keep us informed.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff
                    Last edited by Guest; 04-23-2013, 01:19 PM.

Comment

thanks guys for all your help and that terrific welcome

I think that my next step is to check the cam tensioner so I will do that

Comment

Originally posted by tfamilyx5 View Post
                        thanks guys for all your help and that terrific welcome

I think that my next step is to check the cam tensioner so I will do that
                        Good thinking ,but you won't like removing it on the 650 to test it and it's hard to determine if it's stuck without removing it. You can remove camcover and inspect for chain slop, but this might be inconclusive.
                        1981 gs650L

Comment

I actually had the same problem on my 1100 this weekend. Turned out to be the cam chain tensioner was stuck. Removed it lubed it up and its working perfect for now with turning the engine over, chain nice and tight. Only thing now is I lost a cam end plug so waiting on parts lol.

Comment

Working...
                          X