re-use valve stem seal?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

re-use valve stem seal?

I'm rebuilding my head, popped 2 of my NEW valve stem seals on the guides . . . then realized the spring seat would not fit over it, (needed to put the spring seat on first). So I carefully pulled the seals off with needlenose and was able to get them off with out deforming them. There is a very thin and fragile flap of rubber which rests in the groove on the outer surface of the guide, and there is one point on both seals which a hair sized piece of the flap has separated. But overall the flaps do not appear deformed.

Do I need to order 2 more seals and wait, or would these still be ok to use?

Has anyone ever had to pull a new seal and still used them?

they should be ok to use as long as you are positive there is no damage
    1978 GS1085.

Just remember, an opinion without 3.14 is just an onion!

Comment

well, like i said, the flap on the seal which rests in the outer groove of the guide does have a spot on it where a small bit of the rubber tore from the edge (hair width). Maybe I can get a pic . . . I'll try.

The local dealer service tech said there was a good chance I could pop em back on and they would be fine, but then asked me if I wanted to risk having to dig this deep back into the head if they did fail. That would suck.

I'm gonna go see if I can get a pic which shows the issue.

Comment

Throw em out and get new ones. The last thing you want is one loose in there.

Comment

I'm with Dimitriy here, id rather be safe then sorry, and most of the time, youll have it by the weekend if you order on monday

Comment

Yea, I found a few locally, but I can't get em until tues, and then I won't be able to get back to the bike for a bit. I knew the right call is to not risk it . . . I was just a bit frustrated and entertained the delusion someone might say "no problem, pop em back in". It's cool though, I have some other work to do on the bike in the meantime. Just getting anxious to get her on the road! I only got to put a few hundred miles on the bike after I bought it, so I am chomping at the bit!

Thanks for confirming my thoughts.

Comment

i know the feeling man i got my bike all back together last monday just to find out my clutch was dragging. now getting it fixed this weekend :-S

Comment

I have never un derstood why anyone would want to reuse such a cheap part when the engine is alreadt open. I mean for 20 bucks its all new and no worries.

I will also never understand why anyone, in good conscience, would recommend doing so.
                MY BIKES..1977 GS 750 B, 1978 GS 1000 C (X2)
                1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

NEVER SNEAK UP ON A SLEEPING DOG..NOT EVEN YOUR OWN.

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

Working...
                X