Transmission locked in neutral

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Transmission locked in neutral

Amigos.... Why would my transmission lock in neutral? Bike has been sitting for over a year as I rebuild this and fix that. One unverified possibly is that someone (a kid who will not be named) may have sat on the bike and shifted it, but the transmission has experienced no trauma and was clutching and shifting perfectly when parked. I have searched the Forum and have seen the related thread, but my questions are: 1) how could this happen, 2) is there an easy fix, or do I have to dive into the clutch? There is *no* play in the shift lever, quoting – it’s as if the shaft was welded to the case. (1978 GS 550)

As always, insight appreciated.

ok, first thing, enlarge your font..my old eyes could barely read it and I'm one of the 'young' guys on this site. Have taken the bike off it's stand and rolled it ahead to try and engage it? lots of times it take rolling the bike to engage it into or out of gear.
    Rob
    1983 1100ES, 98' ST1100, 02' DR-Z400E and a few other 'bits and pieces'
    Are you on the GSR Google Earth Map yet? http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=170533

Comment

Thanks - will try forthwith. Sorry about the font size. Cut and pasted.

Comment

No joy! As noted the lever feels like it's welded to the case; no movement at all. Rolling the bike doesn't help. So... why would this happen, and what are my next steps?

Comment

So it's stuck in neutral???? If so, put on centerstand, activate starter (jump starter solenoid if need be) to get engine/trans spinning briefly. does your kickstarter lever feel normal?
          1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

Bike starts and runs fine - yes, it's stuck in neutral. I'll check on the kickstarter and get back.

Comment

it sounds like you need to pull the clutch cover and check the quadrant section on the end of the shifter shaft, just in behind the clutch, it may be dislodged from its correct position, or the spring has jammed or broken
              1978 GS1085.

Just remember, an opinion without 3.14 is just an onion!

Comment

This probem has been resolved. Thanks for all input.

Comment

Originally posted by DougD View Post
                  Help someone in the future
                  How was it resolved?
                  1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
                  1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

Originally posted by DougD View Post
                    Great! What did it end up being?

Comment

My god I read through a whole thread for the first time and I get no happy ending.

Comment

Probably no more than a corroded and frozen clutch cable.
                        Komorebi-The light filtering through the trees.

I would rather sit on a pumpkin and have it all to myself than be crowded on a velvet cushion. H.D.T.

Comment

Working...
                        X