1100 running like crap...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1100 running like crap...

I honestly haven't had the chance to dig into the motor on this project yet, so I figured I'd post here to see what the bets were on the issue. I've taken the bike for a couple of test rides and have absolutley no power beyond 5k rpm. I have a dyna ignition on the way, and will be ordering pods as I know the filter is a bit dirty. Other things of note, the bike hasn't been too excityed about cold starts without starter fluid, and when it is warmed up I get popping in the exhaust after throttle cut.

We are at a bit higher of an altitude here, my bet is jetting....

other side note, fuel tank is a bit rusty although idk if it's enough to be causing a problem.

Difficulty starting is a sign that the valves are in need of adjusting.
    Larry D
    1980 GS450S
    1981 GS450S
    2003 Heritage Softtail

Comment

Whatever it is..I wouldn't do the pods until you have it running properly with the factory airbox. You will be just asking for more trouble.
      No signature

Comment

Adjust the valves
        clean the carbs
        Get a Dynojet kit for the pods
        1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
        1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

Do you run a fuel filter or is all the rust in the tank being fed to your carbs?
          You'll want to take care of that rust too, even fine particles will cause you problems.

Comment

Intake O-rings, or any other air leaks? Sounds like it might be a little lean.
            1983 GS 1100 Guided Laser
            1983 GS 1100 G
            2000 Suzuki Intruder 1500, "Piggy Sue"
            2000 GSF 1200 Bandit (totaled in deer strike)
            1986 Suzuki Cavalcade GV 1400 LX (SOLD)

I find working on my motorcycle mildly therapeutic when I'm not cursing.

Comment

Hi,

Old bikes need proper maintenance. Have you read the "mega-welcome" I posted for you in your other thread? I've collected all of that information to help in just these situations. You will find a list of tasks and the proper procedures by following all the links. Please help yourself too all the experience this community has provided.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

sure did mister Cliff, just curious if anyone had a more educated guess than i would at this point.

Comment

Hi,

If you are asking what maintenance you should do to the bike to get it running right, I would suggest doing ALL of it.

That's the only way to have a safe and reliable motorcycle.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

p.s., the valve cover has to come off due to a sizable leak, so the whole thing will be gone through regardless. was just curious if there was a common particular problem rather than "everything is leaking and you're going to die"

Comment

Working...
                    X