GS850 engine noise

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

GS850 engine noise

I have a 1982 GS 850 G with a strange engine noise It sounds if something is clanking but its only on tick over and only when bike is on side stand No noise when under load its not the clutch as it clutch noise would normally go when you pull in clutch any help would be appreciated.

not ALL clutch noises go when you disengage the clutch, it depends on why the clutch is rattling in the first place. can you pin point the origin of the sound a bit better, front or back, top end or bottom end, left side or right side?

maybe a video with sound may help us out.
    determining engine noises is very hard to diagnose just by keyboard descriptions
    1978 GS1085.

Just remember, an opinion without 3.14 is just an onion!

Comment

Hi,

This is a very active forum and there is no need to cross-post.

The usual suspects are the cam chain tensioner or loose cam chain, loose or broken valve shim, loose cam journal, clutch rattle, starter clutch, loose nut on the stator rotor. Depending on where the noise is located you may want to take off that cover and have a look (valve cover, stator cover, clutch cover).

You'll find lots of GS850G lovin' in the "mega-welcome".

If you are here you probably have a 30 year old motorcycle that needs about 20 years worth of maintenance. You'll find all kinds of helpful tips, procedures, manuals, diagrams, "how-to" guides, etc, in the links below. Let's get started.

Let me dump a TON of information on you and share some GS lovin'.

I just stopped by to welcome you to the forum in my own, special way.

If there's anything you'd like to know about the Suzuki GS model bikes, and most others actually, you've come to the right place. There's a lot of knowledge and experience here in the community. Come on in and let me say "HOoooowwwDY!"....

Here is your very own magical, mystical, mythical, mind-expanding "mega-welcome". Please take notice of the "Top 10 Common Issues", "Top 15 Tips For GS Happiness", the Carb Cleanup Series, and the Stator Papers. All of these tasks must be addressed in order to have a safe, reliable machine. This is what NOT to do: Top 10 Newbie Mistakes. Now let me roll out the welcome mat for you...

Please Click Here For Your Mega-Welcome, chock full of tips, suggestions, links to vendors, and other information. Then feel free to visit my little BikeCliff website where I've been collecting the wisdom of this generous community. Don't forget, we like pictures! Not you, your bike!

More links to helpful threads in the forum:
      Help! Your Bike Won't Start
      DON'T DO THESE THINGS
      Help! Your Bike Won't Run Well
      Oh God! Pods!

Thanks for joining us. Keep us informed.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff
      Last edited by Guest; 04-23-2013, 07:08 PM.

Comment

my bike does the same on side stand sometimes....i hear a ticking in the upper end...mine is from lack of maintence..

but as you will learn many people have similar problems, and ive been told the gs engines have some noise to begin with...i swear mine is about to blow somedays and somedays its quiet...ive learned to just ride it till it goes out and keep oil in it best i can and one day recheck valves

Comment

Hi Thanks for the info and welcome .The bike has only done 20k miles . its been well looked after as far as I can see . I had a look at the starter clutch the only thing there that make me suspect an issue is the large dia starter gear the one on the crank has a lot of movement. Slides back and forth by 4/ 5mm im sure I don't remember my old GS doing this . The washer behind it also looks a little thin . I will strip it later and let people know what I find . It has also been suggested that it could be a circlip on a gear shaft has got loose and is causing the noise. This is my 5th GS from Suzuki but all the others have been GS750.
          I got it as a project so far I have stripped and powder coated the frame sorted electrics. The motor is very tight good compression , Cam chain tensioner was jammed when I got it common mistake lock screw not held in position when tightening lock nut so that was easy fix.

Comment

Engine noise make me think my first GS 750 threw a conrod at 14k miles was going up a UK road at max for the Gs heard a noise like a machine gun opps to late rod had gone smashed a hole so large in the case and barrel you could get what was left of the piston out . contacted my dealer and Suzuki sent me a new motor under warranty and a new pair of pants lol was overtaking a coach at the time .

Comment

Originally posted by fishefish View Post
              Hi Thanks for the info and welcome .The bike has only done 20k miles . its been well looked after as far as I can see . I had a look at the starter clutch the only thing there that make me suspect an issue is the large dia starter gear the one on the crank has a lot of movement. Slides back and forth by 4/ 5mm im sure I don't remember my old GS doing this . The washer behind it also looks a little thin . I will strip it later and let people know what I find . It has also been suggested that it could be a circlip on a gear shaft has got loose and is causing the noise. This is my 5th GS from Suzuki but all the others have been GS750.
              I got it as a project so far I have stripped and powder coated the frame sorted electrics. The motor is very tight good compression , Cam chain tensioner was jammed when I got it common mistake lock screw not held in position when tightening lock nut so that was easy fix.
              that sounds like it could be your problem, maybe some or all of the starter ring gear mounting bolts have sheared. pull it apart quick to avoid further damage
              1978 GS1085.

Just remember, an opinion without 3.14 is just an onion!

Comment

Working...
              X