1100E Valve Adjustment Tool

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1100E Valve Adjustment Tool

I just bought myself an 83 GS1100E which I understand does not use the shim and bucket system for adjusting valves, but rather an easy rachet type system. I'm also told that I will need a special 9mm tool fo this process. I've looked through several vendors, but can't find a tool just for adjusting E model valves. What is this tool called, who sells them, and does anybody have an extra one they can sell me?

I think this is it...
    Z1 Enterprises specializes in quality Motorcycle parts for Honda, Kawasaki, Suzuki and Yamaha Classic Japanese motorcycles from the 1970's and 1980's.

Curt
    sigpic'85 GS1150 1428 14-1 200+hp Hang On

Comment

It's a 9mm wrench and a square drive screw clamped tight in some vice grips.
      -1980 GS1100 LT
      -1975 Honda cb750K
      -1972 Honda cl175
      - Currently presiding over a 1970 T500

Comment

Hi,

For reference: Valve Adjustment for 16 Valve Motors (by Mr. basic).

You can buy the tools or make them. It's also easier if you use two feeler gauges while you're making adjustments.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

Originally posted by Tom R View Post
          It's a 9mm wrench and a square drive screw clamped tight in some vice grips.
          That's probably the way I'll go.
          Surely it can't be that hard to hold the screw in place while you tighten down the 9mm nut.
          sigpic
          Steve
          "The world is a book, and those who do not travel read only one page." :cool:

Comment

If you read BassCliff's link you will find the writer uses a Robertson(square head)screw head to do the ajustments.For the record it's a #2 Robertson screw you need.Covered the screw section with tubing as I didn't have a dowel handy.That and a 9mm wrench and you are good to good.

Comment

Thanks fellows, that cleared up my concerns completely. Sure seems alot easier than the shim and bucket method I've been doing all along. I can't wait to try it out on my new E model.

Comment

Originally posted by retcol View Post
                Sure seems alot easier than the shim and bucket method I've been doing all along.
                I am not sure if it's all that much easier.

Even if it is easier, you have to do it twice as many times.

sigpic
                mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
                hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
                #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
                #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
                Family Portrait
                Siblings and Spouses
                Mom's first ride
                Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
                (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

This is what I rigged up, it's a 3/16 socket

Comment

Originally posted by sedelen View Post
                    That's probably the way I'll go.
                    Surely it can't be that hard to hold the screw in place while you tighten down the 9mm nut.
                    I've done it both ways -- with the Robertson / wrench and with the MotionPro tool set. I'll tell ya -- the latter is definitely how the other half lives. You don't only want the valve lash within spec, you want it identical for the two valves on the same rocker / follower / whatever it's called. If you're halfway as fussy as I am, you'll find that the MotionPro tools require about 12% as much patience as the screw / wrench approach.

Precisely 12%. Scientific measurement.
                    and God said, "Let there be air compressors!"
                    __________________________________________________ ______________________
                    2009 Suzuki DL650 V-Strom, 2004 HondaPotamus sigpic Git'cha O-ring Kits Here!

Comment

I agree but I did not do enough adjustments without the toll to corroboerate that percentage
                      Last edited by posplayr; 04-27-2013, 03:36 PM.

Comment

I bought one of these and use a ring spanner...takes a long time to arrive but worth it for future adjustments, and for $1 ($3 with postage) bargain

Comment

Well that tool from china looks just fine and 4mm also.And the price.Can't beat it. I have several oem tools Suzuki, Kent Moore,Motion Pro etc. Also I have some flat stamped 3 and 4 mm square drive wrenchs that was auto shipped from Yamaha for some applications. (Yamaha ATV's) I would highly recommend dropping the extra bucks if your planning on doing your own maintaince. They fit right and can hold them easier at least 12% if not higher less grief. Not to discourage the screw ,socket, nut driver method.I am anal with sticking rags into any place I feel might be a place of entry for small objects. But looks like a lot of small parts and the potential of something possibly dropping off and into the engine if not being careful. And we know how that feels. I could see epoxy on those pieces though I like the length. I also have attached two .004 feeler gauges together for the split rocker motors to be used at the same time for accuracy.Also I use 6 point wrenchs instead of 12 keeps from slipping and rounding things off. Buy the way I purchaced some new valve adjuster nuts the other day and they supercieded to 8mm instead of the 9mm. So I went on and got all 16 of the 8mm sizes to keep the (lighter) weight all the same between them.Probally wouldn't matter but just felt right lol.
                          sigpic 82 gs1100ez 1168 Wiseco,Web .348 Cams,Falicon Sprockets,Star Racing Ported Head,1mm o/s Stainless Valves,APE Springs,Bronze Guides,etc.APE Billet Tensioner,36CV Carbs,Stage 3 Dynojet,Plenum w/K&N filter,Trued,Welded,Balanced,Crank w/Katana rods & Billet left end, FBG backcut trans, VHR HD Clutch basket,APE nut,VHR High volume oil pump gears,1150 Oil cooler,V&H Megaphone header w/Competition baffle,Dyna S,Coils,Wires,etc.Other misc.mods.

Comment

Agreed that the special purpose tools ( e.g., Motion Pro) make this job a lot easier, but when did they get so darned expensive?! Just looked on Amazon and see they're $32 for a kit. I had to buy a set a couple years ago and then I think they were like $15.

Of course, this means I now have two sets, the others obviously in some box somewhere...

Comment

Originally posted by Paul View Post
                              I bought one of these and use a ring spanner...takes a long time to arrive but worth it for future adjustments, and for $1 ($3 with postage) bargain

http://www.aliexpress.com/snapshot/219685039.html
                              $7 shipping to USA making the screw feel less screw-ish
                              1981 GS750L - Owned since 1990 when graduated high school and since have been discovering all the things not disclosed by seller.
                              1983 GS750E - bought in 2016 as a rough runner to use while rebuilding 81L and then to combine with ES to make one good one
                              1983 GS750ES - bought in Toronto in 2015 on a lark as a non-runner, missing front cowling and exhaust - If you have a 1983 750ES front cowling let me know! Blue would be nice

Comment

Working...
                              X