Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

GS1100EZ - torque for cylinder head seal nut?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

GS1100EZ - torque for cylinder head seal nut?

Does anybody know the torque setting for the "cylinder head seal nut" circled in the diagram below? 1982 GS1100EZ

I will copy the engine torque table from the manual in the next post, but I'm not sure I see this specific part called out.

Thanks.

engine torque table from the manual

Comment

As you know there are several different style nuts for the head and I have never seen a torque table that specifies different torque values for the different nuts, so I have always torqued all of the nuts to the same value.

Comment

Thanks, Tom. I just want to replace the leaking o-ring seal. From the drawing, it looks like it is only there as part of an oil passage and doesn't actually hold the head with clamping force, but then I've never had it apart. Is it possible that this "nut" doesn't hold anything but that o-ring in place? If so, I could just use a little locktite blue and not worry too much about torque.

Comment

You are correct in that the cylinder head seal nuts do not help hold the head down. I just replaced the same O-rings in the same bike as yours. I torqued the two nuts to 25 Ft/Lb. Hope this helps.

Comment

NOT true!!! ALL of the head nuts have clamping force to seal the head! Ray.

Comment

Ray,

Are you sure this holds the head down onto the block?

Thanks,

Comment

It has to.......it goes right onto one of the crankcase studs.
                It doesnt screw onto a stud thats set into the head.
                It requires proper torque as the rest of the head nuts.

Comment

Yes, I can see that the bottom of the Cap Nut would push down onto the head. Sometimes I loose perspective.
                  Last edited by Guest; 04-28-2013, 10:30 AM.

Comment

Thanks to all. I didn't have time to open it up yesterday, so didn't really know how this "nut" is used without being able to look at it. Thanks Zuzu for posting a picture and to Ray and others for clarifying that it is indeed a cylinder head nut. I will use the specified torque and skip the loctite. Thanks again.

Comment

Working...
                    X