Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Overfilled Oil

Hi All,
    As a result of a very rookie level mistake, I added way too much engine oil to the bike. I had been riding about 20min and when I stopped I noticed smoke (from spillage on the exhaust) and the left side of the bike was covered with plenty of oil. I stopped, realized my stupid mistake, and rode home.

I'm going to drain and refill it to the proper level, but I can't help but wonder if this could cause any other issues. Search results told me that I probably didn't directly damage anything (e.g. "It's still running, isn't it?"), but I am wondering if I should be looking for any indications that it backed up somewhere it doesn't belong or whether it might have dislodged any seals, etc. There were small patches of spray on the tire sidewall, so I am going to wipe them off well and baby it for a while.

I'd love to hear than I am just being paranoid. This would not be the first time.

Thanks,
    Chris

you are being paranoid, just drop it to the correct level again and you are good to go.
    you didn't do many miles with it over full so you have no fear of popping seals etc.
    give the bike a thorough clean to remove any splattered oil on parts where oil shouldn't be, like tyres,brakes etc and just ride it. it may smoke a little bit for a while due to to much oil up around the top end but that will soon burn away and clear
    1978 GS1085.

Just remember, an opinion without 3.14 is just an onion!

Comment

Excellent! Thanks for the confirmation.

Comment

Working...
      X