valve shim bucket noise gs 1000

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

valve shim bucket noise gs 1000

I herd that a common problem to motor ticking is the valve shim buckets were made bad at the factory. It ticks more on a hot day and when I tilt the bike to the left. I read on the internet that changing the buckets gets rid of this. Do you think this is true?

A mechanic at a shop said it sounded like my cams were walking and this was common in old GS bikes and their really is no fix but it hurts nothing. It is however anoying even though you only hear it at idle on a hot day. The mechanic said try 20 50 wet oil.

What do you guys think?

I think your mechanic is right. Typically if it's noisy at idle when on the sidestand it's the cams moving around. Over time the bearing blocks which limit end float on the cams wear enough to make them noisy.
    If you were really picky, you could machine the thrust surfaces and attatch shims to bring them back to minimal end float.

The cam follower buckets in my experience don't usually give problems unless there's no oil.....

Comment

OK thanks I saw a guy that shimmed his end caps to take over the .0015 clearence on the cam to thrust bearing problem being too wide. I don't have a mill to modify the end caps and make the proper size shims for them. It is a $800 bike so I'll live with it. The mechanic said it will go years like this. He said when you tip it two the left and it starts or get worst this is a teltail sign., but I thought I'd check here.

Comment

Working...
      X