Stumped - Only wants to start when plug is removed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Stumped - Only wants to start when plug is removed

This is on a 1977 gs750 stock (New to me, unknown history)

This is how it wants to start.

On the first press of the button it acts like it wants to start and then just spins, and doesn't want to start.

Here's the kicker. If I pull a plug (any one doesn't matter) It wants to start right away and will run. Put the plug back in and try to start again, all it does is spin, doesn't want to start. (remove plug again and it wants to start, you get the idea)

Now, If I using starting fluid to get it running, once it starts I can turn it off and restart anytime, until it sits overnight, then the same issue happens. Only wants to start if I pull a plug or use starter fluid.

Anyone have a similar experience like this and a fix. I would appreciate any input, Some other people and I are dumbfounded by it only wanting to start with a plug removed.

Thanks
    Last edited by Guest; 05-15-2013, 01:02 AM.

battery voltage to the coils is low.

when you unplug one wire, it actually increases the coil output voltage since there is a huge gap to jump, so the coil voltage will increase respectively in order to jump it.

Check the Positive + side of the coils to make sure it is within 1/2 volt or so of battery voltage....

incidentally, back in the days of 2 stroke dirtbiking, if a plug was fouled, we would take off the plug wire ever so slightly and the increased double gap would sometimes make the things start!!

Comment

Also...adjust the valves.
      Larry D
      1980 GS450S
      1981 GS450S
      2003 Heritage Softtail

Comment

I am getting full battery power to the coils, I just performed the coil relay mod, I checked the voltage and I was happy with the result. (originally it was 1.3 volts low)

Its when I pull a plug out of the cylinder, (not disconnected from coil/spark plug) is when it wants to start. I discovered this when checking for spark.

Originally posted by barnbiketom View Post
        battery voltage to the coils is low.

when you unplug one wire, it actually increases the coil output voltage since there is a huge gap to jump, so the coil voltage will increase respectively in order to jump it.

Check the Positive + side of the coils to make sure it is within 1/2 volt or so of battery voltage....

incidentally, back in the days of 2 stroke dirtbiking, if a plug was fouled, we would take off the plug wire ever so slightly and the increased double gap would sometimes make the things start!!

That is not a bad idea, Ill have to look into that. I have never done it on a bike before

Originally posted by Larry D View Post
        Also...adjust the valves.

Comment

When you say it will spin, do you mean the starter spins, or the motor continuously turns over when you depress the start button?
          '83 GS650G
          '83 GS550es (didn't like the colours in the 80's, but they've grown on me)

Comment

When I hit the start button for the first time it sounds like it wants to start, then the motor just turns over.

The starter button operates fine.
            Last edited by Guest; 05-15-2013, 01:05 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by halz426 View Post
              When I hit the start button the motor just turns over.

The starter button operates fine.
              I think BigD was asking if the engine is actually turning over, or is the starter motor whirring around but not actually turning the crank? Either or both of these conditions make sense with your "works when the spark plug is pulled" mystery, but the repair will be different.

1) If the battery is low, removing one plug will decrease the torque needed to spin the engine because you're removing compression from one cylinder (any cylinder), letting the engine get up enough spin speed to start. DC motor torque is directly related to electrical current through the motor, therefore, low battery will produce less torque. Fix for this is a new battery.

2) The same applies if the starter clutch is slipping or the rotor is working loose from the crankshaft. Removing a spark plug means less compression to overcome, so the starter can engage without slipping. Fix for this is to remove the rotor, clean up the crankshaft end, apply loctite and bolt back together. Or remove the rotor and clean up the bearing/pawls that mechanically engage the starter.

Good luck!

Comment

Hi,

If you don't know the history of the bike then I think it's best if you get caught up on ALL of the maintenance. You'll find the maintenance lists in your "mega-welcome". Or just visit my little website and click on the READ ME page.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

Originally posted by AJ View Post
                  I think BigD was asking if the engine is actually turning over, or is the starter motor whirring around but not actually turning the crank? Either or both of these conditions make sense with your "works when the spark plug is pulled" mystery, but the repair will be different.

1) If the battery is low, removing one plug will decrease the torque needed to spin the engine because you're removing compression from one cylinder (any cylinder), letting the engine get up enough spin speed to start. DC motor torque is directly related to electrical current through the motor, therefore, low battery will produce less torque. Fix for this is a new battery.

2) The same applies if the starter clutch is slipping or the rotor is working loose from the crankshaft. Removing a spark plug means less compression to overcome, so the starter can engage without slipping. Fix for this is to remove the rotor, clean up the crankshaft end, apply loctite and bolt back together. Or remove the rotor and clean up the bearing/pawls that mechanically engage the starter.

Good luck!
                  Thank you, AJ. That's where I was going with that question.
                  '83 GS650G
                  '83 GS550es (didn't like the colours in the 80's, but they've grown on me)

Comment

Thanks for the reply's, ( I will look into the starter clutch) It has a new battery and good voltage, starter engages and spins strongly.

I can hear the compression through the exhaust. ( Sounds good)

I can start the bike with starter fluid every time (1st try) / or pull a plug. lol

I am making my way through "the maintenance list" about to check the valves and rebuild carburetor.

I had a few respectable people not understand why it starts and behaves the way it does. And also a few jokes, lol
                    Last edited by Guest; 05-15-2013, 01:24 AM.

Comment

Can you start the bike with the kick starter?
                      1984 GS1100GK newest addition to the heard
                      80 GS 1000gt- most favorite ride love this bike
                      1978 GS1000E- Known as "RoadKill" , Finished :D
                      83 gs750ed- first new purchase
                      85 EX500- vintage track weapon
                      1958Ducati 98 Tourismo
                      “Remember When in doubt use full throttle, It may not improve the situation ,but it will end the suspense ,
                      If it isn't going to make it faster or safer it isn't worth doing

Comment

I can start the bike with the kick-starter once I get it fired up with ether.

I will try to kick start it cold and with no ether.

Comment

Working...
                        X