Crankcase breather puking blowby, GS1000

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Crankcase breather puking blowby, GS1000

Hey everyone, I have a 1981 GS1000L that hasn't ran in quite some time. I got the bike to start and run, but when I rev the motor to a high RPM and it starts to decelerate there is a lot of very thin and gassy oil pouring from the crankcase breather hose. I suspect it to be the rings but plan to change the oil prior to pulling the top end apart. As always any advice is appreciated!

Cheers,
    Pat

you should do a cylinder leakage test or at least a compression test to see if it could be rings. are you sure the petcock is not leaking and over filling the oil level? this would cause it to blow through the breather if the level is to high.(and you say it smells of gas)

you may want to check out the petcock first. i would not change the oil yet until you have found the problem.(waste of new oil)
    1978 GS1085.

Just remember, an opinion without 3.14 is just an onion!

Comment

Here's a link to the video of what I'm talking about

Comment

Some blowby gasses are perfectly normal. Especially on an engine that sat for some time. You may be jumping the gun with a tear down. I'd check/adjust the valves and then put some good hard miles on the engine (several hundred if possible) before jumping to any conclusions.
        Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

I tested the petcock initially to make sure of that issue. I had a faulty petcock on my 1977 GS550 so I'm a bit familiar with that one, but this one works properly

Comment

Compression is the first thing that comes to mind. Test it as is, and again with a squirt of light machine oil in each cylinder.

The gas smell could be if you're still using the enrichener circuit ("choke") to get the bike started. Exhaust will still smell like gas until it's fully warm, the pipes are hot AND you've run it down the road a bit. Otherwise you may just be smelling residual, highly rich exhaust that condensed inside the cold exhaust pipes when you started it.

Have you actually had this bike on the road, or is this just your first experience getting the engine running again?

How many miles are on the engine?

Sometimes light rust will build up on the piston rings and cylinder walls of engines that have sat a long time. Sometimes this will fix itself, sometimes it won't. IF the bike is actually running on the street, consider adding some Marvel Mystery Oil (MMO) to the gas as a "top end lubricant" for a tank. This will help clean and lubricate the cylinders. You might also consider a table spoon full of MMO poured into each spark plug hole and let it sit for a couple of days, turning the engine a little bit every day. The MMO will seep into your piston rings, dissolve any gunk in them, and possibly free them up if any of them are stuck.

Comment

Does the oil it pukes smell of gas? looks kind of thin in the video. How is the oil level. You didn't leave it on prime by mistake and fill the crank with gas did you?
              1984 GS1100GK newest addition to the heard
              80 GS 1000gt- most favorite ride love this bike
              1978 GS1000E- Known as "RoadKill" , Finished :D
              83 gs750ed- first new purchase
              85 EX500- vintage track weapon
              1958Ducati 98 Tourismo
              “Remember When in doubt use full throttle, It may not improve the situation ,but it will end the suspense ,
              If it isn't going to make it faster or safer it isn't worth doing

Comment

Your crankcase if full of gas.
                1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
                1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

Originally posted by hjfisk View Post
                  Does the oil it pukes smell of gas? looks kind of thin in the video. How is the oil level. You didn't leave it on prime by mistake and fill the crank with gas did you?
                  these subjects are covered in previous posts
                  1978 GS1085.

Just remember, an opinion without 3.14 is just an onion!

Comment

Originally posted by chef1366 View Post
                    Your crankcase if full of gas.
                    "DITTO"

Comment

I should have looked at the d@mn video before responding! LOL!

Comment

Its full of gas for sure..petcock left on PRIme or its gone bad since he tested it. But in any case gas is flowing to the crankcase.
                        MY BIKES..1977 GS 750 B, 1978 GS 1000 C (X2)
                        1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

NEVER SNEAK UP ON A SLEEPING DOG..NOT EVEN YOUR OWN.

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

Working...
                        X