1981 gs1100 valve cove gasket ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1981 gs1100 valve cove gasket ?

I went to RealGasket to look into a valve gasket which they sell for all the Suzuki fours. But there is a note above the gaskets saying do not use the silicone gasket if the tach is in the valve cover, ok but they sell silicone gaskets and I'm quite sure a few models have the tach in the valve cover. Must be too thick I guess. Is there a work around or should I get a standard gasket elsewhere and if I do what is the best sealer to use. Thanks, just learning here.

Originally posted by alhntr View Post
    I went to RealGasket to look into a valve gasket which they sell for all the Suzuki fours. But there is a note above the gaskets saying do not use the silicone gasket if the tach is in the valve cover, ok but they sell silicone gaskets and I'm quite sure a few models have the tach in the valve cover. Must be too thick I guess. Is there a work around or should I get a standard gasket elsewhere and if I do what is the best sealer to use. Thanks, just learning here.
    Gasket thickness is critical (IIIR about 0.045") too thick and the gear in the valve cover will grind down the gear in the exhaust cam and you will loose your tach. RealGaskets were too thick, apparently based on the note they still are.

Best to install a OEM gasket lightly greased. Don't over tighten.

Comment

You don't need any sealant on the gaskets just maybe some WD-40 to help it come back off later.
      Cowboy Up or Quit. - Run Free Lou and Rest in Peace

1981 GS550T - My First
      1981 GS550L - My Eldest Daughter's - Now Sold
      2007 GSF1250SA Bandit - My touring bike

Sit tall in the saddle Hold your head up high
      Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die
      and don't be scared, just enjoy your ride - Chris Ledoux, "The Ride"

Comment

Old gasket saver trick is cherry chapstick as a gasket anti-stick. Don't know why but the cherry works best and it comes in a handy aplication tube.

Comment

Originally posted by madjack57754;1859848[B
          ]Old gasket saver trick is cherry chapstick[/B] as a gasket anti-stick. Don't know why but the cherry works best and it comes in a handy aplication tube.

Interesting

Comment

Good to learn about the silicone gasket. Hadn't thought about the thickness and the tach drive. Had my cover off last week and was lamenting that I didn't purchase the silicone gasket last time.

Comment

Originally posted by AJ View Post
              Good to learn about the silicone gasket. Hadn't thought about the thickness and the tach drive. Had my cover off last week and was lamenting that I didn't purchase the silicone gasket last time.
              I just went ahead and ordered a oem gasket from Partszilla, they had the best price of all. Thanks for the no sealer tip, just use the chapstick trick or wd 40. Thanks, guys. Waiting on my sync tool so meanwhile will do the carbs.

Comment

Originally posted by AJ View Post
                When I install the valve cover, I set the cover on the head (put my hand on it for a little pressure) and then bump the starter to insure that the end of the gear rotates in the cover. That way you know it is meshed properly before tightening the cover down. Webcams are about $400 so it pay to be a little cautious.

Comment

Originally posted by posplayr View Post
                  When I install the valve cover, I set the cover on the head (put my hand on it for a little pressure) and then bump the starter to insure that the end of the gear rotates in the cover. That way you know it is meshed properly before tightening the cover down. Webcams are about $400 so it pay to be a little cautious.
                  I will keep that in mind, do you hit starter and watch the tach or just listen for a unusual sound. Thanks for the tip.

Comment

Originally posted by alhntr View Post
                    I will keep that in mind, do you hit starter and watch the tach or just listen for a unusual sound. Thanks for the tip.
                    Pull the plugs (or coil wires) if you have to to stop the motor from starting, then just look at the end of the gear in the valve cover. It is the male flat that fits into the end of the slot on the cable. It is easy enough to see it move 1/4-1/2 turn to know it is properly engaged with the exhaust cams gear. Then tighten down the cover.

Comment

Originally posted by posplayr View Post
                      Pull the plugs (or coil wires) if you have to to stop the motor from starting, then just look at the end of the gear in the valve cover. It is the male flat that fits into the end of the slot on the cable. It is easy enough to see it move 1/4-1/2 turn to know it is properly engaged with the exhaust cams gear. Then tighten down the cover.
                      Excellente, thanks so much. Got lucky and went to cycle salvage here in town and found the exact fuse box for 10.00. Just pop out the buss and dual clips, butt splice positive wire and back in business.

Comment

Working...
                      X