head swap question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

head swap question

When I checked my valves on v blocks and a dial indicator all of them were way out of tolerance on the radial run out. My question is I found a head from an 83 that the seller says will work and it is about half the price of new valvea and springs. Will it fit my 80 model? Its a gs1100e.

Originally posted by m.qualls89 View Post
    When I checked my valves on v blocks and a dial indicator all of them were way out of tolerance on the radial run out. My question is I found a head from an 83 that the seller says will work and it is about half the price of new valvea and springs. Will it fit my 80 model? Its a gs1100e.
    That is the prefered head because it has more bolts to hold down the cover. Otherwise it is identical other than having tighter tolerances on the valve seat angles which greatly affect performance.

While you have it out consider doing some head work: 1150 valves, backcutting porting.

Technical Info posts that are deemed to be important or popular will be placed here for easier access. If you feel a post should be moved from the Technical Info forum to here then PM the Administrator with your request.

Comment

Well my thoughts were to buy it and use it to get riding. Then send mine out later to get ported.

Comment

What about some good used valves? Lots of guys hot rod the 1100 and pull the stock valves. Shouldn't be hard finding some.
        Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

I haven't seen any

Comment

Yoiu haven't called the right people. Ray.

Comment

Not sure how to find the right people lol. But turns out my cylinder jugs are junk. Its bored to 75mm already and has a huge gouge in the bottom of cylinder 4. I'm buying a complete head with valves cams and the cylinder jugs with stock pistons for $370. So ill be up and riding then I'm thinking ill send my head to be ported. I'm not sure yet if I want to bore it and use my 75mm pistons or use the stock temporarily.

Comment

Not sure how to find the right people lol. But turns out my cylinder jugs are junk. Its bored to 75mm already and has a huge gouge in the bottom of cylinder 4. I'm buying a complete head with valves cams and the cylinder jugs with stock pistons for $370. So ill be up and riding then I'm thinking ill send my head to be ported. I'm not sure yet if I want to bore it and use my 75mm pistons or use the stock temporarily.
                1166 (75mm) is a nice step up from stock. Head work $/hp is cheap.

Comment

I eventually want to find a big block and send original head to get ported as I can't even find stock valves to buy. The only downfall of going back to 75mm on the new block I'm getting is if something like this happens again I'm in the same boat and can't bore my cylinders.

Comment

If you do get that head make sure you get the a matching cylinder head cover as the holes won't match up to the one you got.
                    sigpic
                    Steve
                    "The world is a book, and those who do not travel read only one page." :cool:

Comment

Heads,

(Broken header bolt no. 2, could help you get the price down)
                      sigpic
                      Steve
                      "The world is a book, and those who do not travel read only one page." :cool:

Comment

Actually the first link is the one I'm getting. I had seen the other head but I've got enough of a headache without someone else's broken bolt lol. I'm getting the head in the listing with the cylinder block cams valves and pistons for $370. I just gotta get my stupid paypal to work lol on hold now.

Comment

Have you looked at your Private Messages??? Ray.

Comment

Working...
                          X