Exhaust flange bolts broken

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Exhaust flange bolts broken

In the process of resurrecting the old 1980 550E I have found more and more neglected and broken stuff!! The latest is broken off bolts in the the exhaust flange area/head. The exhaust that is on it is ugly BUT even with 2 broken off bolts it does not leak. I bought a used OEM system that looks like new but when I saw those broken bolts I stopped in my tracks! I am guessing that extracting them will be a PITA? Since I recently discover it has " cam walk " I am thinking I'll find a used head and have it refurbished and then pull the top end down and go through it from A-Z. Does anyone know of a machine shop that can redo my head?

if we dont know where you live, nobody can point you in the direction of a local machine shop. sometimes broken exhaust studs come out fairly easily, you wont know until you get access to them. it is not a difficult job and there are plenty of threads on the site to help you should you decide to save yourself a few bucks and have a go at removing them yourself.
    1978 GS1085.

Just remember, an opinion without 3.14 is just an onion!

Comment

I was not really looking for a local machine shop. just some place to send it to. I know falicon does cranks but don't know about heads?

Comment

Originally posted by Gateway View Post
        I was not really looking for a local machine shop. just some place to send it to. I know falicon does cranks but don't know about heads?
        is there not a engine builder, or just a decent machine shop nearby? (wherever nearby is!)

any machine shop should be able to help you out, rather than the expense of shipping it out somewhere......
        1978 GS1085.

Just remember, an opinion without 3.14 is just an onion!

Comment

Working...
        X