Bearing problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bearing problem

I believe that I have a bearing going out. Best I can tell its the one behind the front sprocket. It makes what I can only describe as a gear whine. I've heard a few bearings make this noise but not too many. The noise only changes with speed. Rpm doesn't affect it at all, and doesn't matter what gear I'm in or whether the clutch is engaged or not. Also doesn't seem to be coming from the rear tire. Any thoughts?

have you pulled the cover off and had a look? it could be a loose sprocket rubbing against the cover, or a badly worn chain
    1978 GS1085.

Just remember, an opinion without 3.14 is just an onion!

Comment

Will be pulling the cover tomorrow. The chain and sprockets are only about a year old. Didn't notice the problem until about a week ago. Never had the issue after the new chain and sprockets. Only have about 3000 miles on them.

Comment

Pulled the cover. Nothing appears wrong. Sprocket is good and tight. No noticeable wear.

Comment

re-lubed the chain. no difference. going to replace rear wheel bearings again and see if that makes a diff.

Comment

Does it make the same noise with no chain installed?

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

i cant get it to make the noise unless there is some type of load on it. tried it on the center stand with and without tire and no noise. only seems to happen with me rolling down the road. i can pull the clutch in and it still makes the noise.

Comment

Eric suggests you read this:
                http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=176264

"His secondary drive bearings are shot!"
                Best of luck with that.

Comment

Eric said, "His secondary drive bearings are shot!"
                  He asked me to post this thread link of his for you to read.
                  Do you have a great road adventure that you would like to share? How about a bike repair gone bad? Put your story here and share it with the rest of us.

Good luck, Rick
                  Got beat by 3 min.
                  GSRick
                  No God, no peace. Know God, know peace.

Eric Bang RIP 9/5/2018
                  Have some bikes ready for us when we meet up.

Comment

I shouldnt have secondary bearings. i have a chain not a shaft. I'm pretty sure I've narrowed it to the chain and front sprocket. With the chain it is incredibly loud. I can hear it over the exhaust. I have a v&h pipe. Without the chain no noise at all. The sprocket and chain appear fine. Any thoughts?

Comment

Originally posted by gsrick View Post
                      Eric said, "His secondary drive bearings are shot!"
                      He asked me to post this thread link of his for you to read.
                      Do you have a great road adventure that you would like to share? How about a bike repair gone bad? Put your story here and share it with the rest of us.

Good luck, Rick
                      Got beat by 3 min.
                      ask Eric when is the last time he saw a chain drive GS with secondary drive bearings and a bevel gear?

( i cant believe you or Mrl1000l didn't spot that yourselves? )
                      Last edited by Agemax; 05-23-2013, 04:07 PM.
                      1978 GS1085.

Comment

Originally posted by shinzon1 View Post
                        I shouldnt have secondary bearings. i have a chain not a shaft. I'm pretty sure I've narrowed it to the chain and front sprocket. With the chain it is incredibly loud. I can hear it over the exhaust. I have a v&h pipe. Without the chain no noise at all. The sprocket and chain appear fine. Any thoughts?
                        sounds like it could be the mainshaft bearings. take the front sprocket off, and pull the clutch off (so it is out the way), look and wiggle the shaft and see if you can see or hear any signs of damage
                        1978 GS1085.

Comment

Never heard of these failing on a GS.... Has it ever been run out of oil?

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Not in the last three years for sure. It doesn't make me think bearings anymore since it does fine without the chain. It only makes noise with the chain on. Am I wrong in my thinking?

Comment

Originally posted by shinzon1 View Post
                              Not in the last three years for sure. It doesn't make me think bearings anymore since it does fine without the chain. It only makes noise with the chain on. Am I wrong in my thinking?
                              just remember the chain will put lateral load on the shaft and bearings when it is attached. without the chain it is just a free spinning shaft under no loads.

before you go to deep you could always try fitting a new chain and see how it sounds then
                              1978 GS1085.

Comment

Working...
                              X