Bearing problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Agemax View Post

before you go to deep you could always try fitting a new chain and see how it sounds then
    Yes, worn chains can make all kinds of gawdawful bad bearing sounding noises.

This seems much more likely to me.
    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v5...tatesMap-1.jpg

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

just remember the chain will put lateral load on the shaft and bearings when it is attached. without the chain it is just a free spinning shaft under no loads.

before you go to deep you could always try fitting a new chain and see how it sounds then
      True. Didn't really think of that. The only other info I have is the noise is definitely coming from the left side. With me standing with my ear within 2 inches of the side cover it sounds like it is directly behind it. Which would make me think it is the chain and sprocket. If it was a bearing it sounds like it is the one directly behind the sprocket. Granted aluminum carries sound easier.

Comment

the trouble with that model is you cant ride the bike without the cover on as the clutch release is in the cover. are you 100% positive there is nothing hitting the cover on the inside when it is bolted on. no signs of anything catching or wearing away a part of the cover?

i am only guessing now as i am running out of ideas.......
        1978 GS1085.

Just remember, an opinion without 3.14 is just an onion!

Comment

the trouble with that model is you cant ride the bike without the cover on as the clutch release is in the cover. are you 100% positive there is nothing hitting the cover on the inside when it is bolted on. no signs of anything catching or wearing away a part of the cover?

i am only guessing now as i am running out of ideas.......
          I love the bike but there are several things on it that make me want to slap the engineers. Lol. I'll double check that there isn't anything rubbing but I don't believe there is.

Comment

the trouble with that model is you cant ride the bike without the cover on as the clutch release is in the cover.
            You can if you have the ability to ride without using the clutch.
            If you don't know how, you don't have this ability.

Comment

just another thought to check, the chain isn't rubbing on the swingarm pivot or the frame?
              that would sound like it is right behind the cover,,,,(close enough,anyway!)
              1978 GS1085.

Comment

My biggest problem is getting going. Once I'm going I'm fine. The bike can be a little picky sometimes.

Comment

Originally posted by tkent02 View Post
                  You can if you have the ability to ride without using the clutch.
                  If you don't know how, you don't have this ability.
                  i know how to, but does he, and is he willing to try it????
                  1978 GS1085.

Comment

I figured you would know, not sure about the PO.

Comment

Just triple checked that nothing was rubbing and can't find anything. I also pulled on the sprocket to try and simulate the load the chain would put on it, and no roughness or hard spots. I also checked to see if there was any play in the shaft and couldn't find any.

Comment

( i cant believe you or Mrl1000l didn't spot that yourselves? )
                        I honestly thought he was referring to the tranny bearing behind the sprocket. Re-read the failure post, clearly the bearing for the bevel drive that failed for Eric. Sorry for any misdirection.

Comment

i guess i'll place an order for a new chain and sprocket from z1, and go from there. I really hope its the chain.

Comment

Originally posted by shinzon1 View Post
                            i guess i'll place an order for a new chain and sprocket from z1, and go from there. I really hope its the chain.
                            well it is a cheaper option rather than stripping the motor apart. plus if it doesn't cure the problem you still have a brand new chain and sprockets.

i would just fit the chain first, on the old sprockets (they dont look to be in bad condition) just to see if the noise disappears.

did you check the frame and swingarm pivot for signs of wear?
                            1978 GS1085.

Comment

i would just fit the chain first, on the old sprockets (they dont look to be in bad condition) just to see if the noise disappears.

did you check the frame and swingarm pivot for signs of wear?
                              i figured i'd just order and replace the front sprocket anyways. its only about 15 bucks. That way if it is one or the other it will be done. As many times as i've pulled the cover i think I can pull it in less than 5 seconds. lol. I did check to see if the chain was rubbing any where else and can't find any wear spots. I have plenty of clearance around the chain. Not looking forward to having to split the case, if it comes to that. I pray it doesn't.

Comment

Replace all three, then there can't be a chain noise.

Comment

Working...
                                X