Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Flooded motor.... Now only runs on 3 cyclinders. HELP!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Flooded motor.... Now only runs on 3 cyclinders. HELP!

I have a 1980 GS750L. You may ask how did you motor get flooded with gaslone? Well, I'm building an old school bobber, and I'm running a Sportster tank. Anyways the petcock was left on, and filled my motor with gas.

Here is what I've done:

- Pulled plugs and got all gas out of cyclinders
    - Drained the bowls
    - Replaced the plugs
    - Changed the oil

BUT!

I did attempt to start the bike after I got gas out of the cyclinders and drained the bowls. The bike did run, but not very well. Thats when I decided to change the gas soaked oil, and change the plugs. After doing that, the bike only runs on 3 cyclinders. #1 is not running. I pulled the new plug. The plug was dry with no signs of fuel. I know I have spark (tested). I should not have fuel problems since the carbs where proffesionally cleaned and rebuilt. The only thing I can think of is compression problems. Would running the bike on the gas soaked oil for a short time cause this kind of problem? Or am I missing something.. I hope I'm missing something. I'm gonna do a compression test on it Friday.

Help!

Another dead bobber. Put it on Craigslist for $9,000.

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

I would suspect a problem with carb 1. Why do you think the motor filled with gas in the first place more than likely because one or more of the float needles failed. Just because a pro cleaned the carbs doesn't mean it was done right. Pull the carbs and have a look for yourself.

Comment

Running it for a short time shouldn't have hurt it unless you seriously filled up the engine. Also it sounds like the poor running has to do with #1 cylinder not getting fuel. Low compression wouldn't cause a dry plug.

Comment

Is the fuel tank clean?

Comment

Originally posted by evan132 View Post
            Is the fuel tank clean?
            The carbs where rebuilt with the assistance of a senior member on here. I witnessed the rebuild. They where cleaned (acid dipped for 24 hours), o-rings replaced, and had a Dyno Jet Stage 3 kit installed (Jets, Main Air Correctors, and Needles installed)

The bike wouldn't even turn over after I realized the petcock was left on. Thats when i pulled all the plugs, turned the motor over, and shot all the gas out of the cyclinders.

Brand new sportster tank w/ high octane gas.

I'm scratching my head...

Comment

If float needles are bad or spring is weak,they will not seal properly and your engine will fill with gas.

Comment

Originally posted by almarconi View Post
                If float needles are bad or spring is weak,they will not seal properly and your engine will fill with gas.
                The needles are new, they came in my dynojet kit. Springs possibly original. But before this happened, the bike ran amazing, and on all 4.

Comment

Float needles are not included in a dynojet kit. They are in your carb bowls. Look at a parts diagram.

Comment

Originally posted by almarconi View Post
                    Just because a pro cleaned the carbs doesn't mean it was done right.
                    I was there, too, they were done correctly.
                    (NatiKiD was looking over my shoulder. )

Originally posted by NatiKiD View Post
                    Brand new sportster tank w/ high octane gas.
                    It won't help the flooding any, but you don't need high octane gas.

sigpic
                    mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
                    hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
                    #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
                    #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
                    Family Portrait
                    Siblings and Spouses
                    Mom's first ride
                    Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
                    (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Steve, how did the float needles look? Did the gas shut off when the floats were moved?

Comment

Any ideas? I'm fixing to tinker with it soon...

Comment

It is possible to bend rods and twist crankshafts with hydraulic lock from gasoline filled combustion chambers.

sigpic Too old, too many bikes, too many cars, too many things

Comment

Originally posted by 850 Combat View Post
                            It is possible to bend rods and twist crankshafts with hydraulic lock from gasoline filled combustion chambers.

http://forum.cog-online.org/index.php?topic=26478.0
                            Makes sense, but what explains the dry spark plug? No fuel at all

Comment

Does fuel drip from the bowl drain plug on that carb? If so, it is filling...to some extent. Also check number 4 for a drip..fuel cant get to 4 unless it passes thru the transfer tube between 3 and 4.

If 3 AND 4 have fuel, then youve got a plugged cicuit in the 3 carb and/or plugged jets in it.
                              MY BIKES..1977 GS 750 B, 1978 GS 1000 C (X2)
                              1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

NEVER SNEAK UP ON A SLEEPING DOG..NOT EVEN YOUR OWN.

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

Working...
                              X