Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Carb's-Eye View into Engine: Can it be Cleaned?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Carb's-Eye View into Engine: Can it be Cleaned?

Hi everyone! My Memorial Day project consists of replacing the o-rings (thanks Cycle O-Rings) at the engine intakes. Upon removing the ports, there is noticeable "gunk" visible. Since the oil is out of the engine already, is there a treatment, flush or spray I should use to get rid of it?

squirt some carb cleaner in there and get in there with some rags, q tips, mini wire brushes etc.
    1978 GS1085.

Just remember, an opinion without 3.14 is just an onion!

Comment

Thanks Agemax. Is this where the gunk accumulates typically? Do risk anything if some drops down?

Comment

Originally posted by Doug650L View Post
        Thanks Agemax. Is this where the gunk accumulates typically? Do risk anything if some drops down?
        turn the engine over until the valve is shut tight. stick a hoover in there before and after cleaning it out to make sure there is nothing there that can fall through when the valve opens again
        1978 GS1085.

Comment

Just ride it harder.

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Ok. Really basic question: what methods are available to turn the engine over? Battery out, tank off, carb off. I'm new to this but loving every minute of it!

Comment

take the front right (ignition) cover off. there will be a big nut on the end of the crank. use that to turn the engine over, CLOCKWISE only.
              removing the spark plugs as well will make it easier to turn
              1978 GS1085.

Comment

Originally posted by tkent02 View Post
                Just ride it harder.
                Yeah, fix your carb and petcock problems and the gunk will vanish like magic! do all the maintenance per Basscliff's site and enjoy happy motoring!
                1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

spraying water (squirt bottle) into the intake of a running engine is known to clean away carbon.

some threads to give you some ideas.

Hello all, My 2000 Corolla has 155K miles and has had a ping issue since about 100K miles. The ping occurs mostly between 55-70. Anyways, I have an oil change coming in a few weeks so I wanted to do a few things. 1. Either use seafoam through the brake booster or water sprayed in the intake...

Last edited by posplayr; 05-26-2013, 05:38 PM.

Comment

Leave it alone and ride. Carbon like that won't hurt anything. Maybe some Seafoam (or similar) in the next few tanks. Trying to clean it off will just flush some down into the engine where no good will come.
                    Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

Just put some gas cleaner in it and ride!

Ed
                      GS750TZ V&H/4-1, Progressive Shocks, Rebuilt MC/braided line, Tarozzi Stabilizer[Seq#2312]
                      GS750TZ Parts Bike [Seq#6036]
                      GSX-R750Y (Sold)

my opinion shouldn't be taken as gospel or in any way that would lead you to believe otherwise (30Sep2021)
                      Originally posted by GSXR7ED
                      Forums are pretty much unrecognizable conversations; simply because it's a smorgasbord of feedback...from people we don't know. It's not too difficult to ignore the things that need to be bypassed.

Comment

In the days before everything was fuel injected and super lean, most every engine looked like that, especially the ones that were ridden slowly.

Ain't no thing.

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Mine look like that on all four valves (GS450) and I was actually wondering if it wasn't leakage from the valve stem seals cooking to the valve since its black and slimy looking not dry and sooty (bike not running yet so I can't tell).

For carbon removal I take a page from my boat mechanic life and use Power Tune from Mercury marine (carbon debonder). You warm it up and take the airbox loose and hose it in through the carbs with the engine RPMs high enough to keep things moving until its smoking like hell then shut it off. I usually take the plugs out and spray around in the cylinders too and roll the engine over a bit to work it around.
                          You can let it sit even overnight if its super bad. When you start it up drive the crap out of it to blow everything out, then you maybe have to change or clean the spark plugs and its probably a good idea to change the oil just in case.
                          I have had non running engines with stuck rings go from 70-90% leak down to 5% leak down just from this (4 stroke outboard on always idled pontoon) and it will leave a pile of black crap behind the exhaust.

Comment

Originally posted by Doug650L View Post
                            Ok. Really basic question: what methods are available to turn the engine over? Battery out, tank off, carb off. I'm new to this but loving every minute of it!

place the trans in 2nd or 3rd gear and spin the rear wheel..

Comment

Do the water treatment to clean all the carbon out of the cylinders, off the valves, and off the pistons.

Set a fan on high in front of the engine to keep it cool.

Start the bike with the air cleaner off and let it get real good and warm..maybe 10 minutes at idle.

Then take a squirt bottle full of water and get it at the throat of carb 1 and run the RPMS up to around 5 or 6G.

Slowly squirt just enough water to not stop the engine ( and tweek the throttle up at the same time) into the carb. The idea is to keep the engine at as high an RPM as you can without it stalling as you squirt in the water...but not redlining either.

As the water hits the hot cylinder and the piston and valves, it literally will knock the crap off instantly. Same principle as when you put water in a hot skillet to loosen the charred on stuff in the bottom. There will be some black gunky water shooting out the pipes so be outside when you do it.

Give each one maybe 6 or 8 good doses and do the rest on down the line.
                              MY BIKES..1977 GS 750 B, 1978 GS 1000 C (X2)
                              1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

NEVER SNEAK UP ON A SLEEPING DOG..NOT EVEN YOUR OWN.

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

Working...
                              X