secondary drive problems

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

secondary drive problems

I have been restoring a 1982 gs1100L, has been running well until the last few rides. I have a loud howl coming from the secondary unit at the back of the engine, seems to really howl when throttle on, and stops when you let off the throttle. I changed the gear oil and it was glistening with metal bits. After reading the forums, I took the boot loose from the rear of the engine and found that the shaft has broken where the nut holds the u-joint onto the splined shaft. I am needing advice on the repair, it seems like I have bearing issues as well? I have found a total set of gears,etc, on ebay fron a 1981 gs850 shaft, will these parts exchange with the 1100? any advise would be helpful. I have the engine running well, and dont want to give up just yet, without spending a ton of money.

Originally posted by texman51 View Post
    I have been restoring a 1982 gs1100L, has been running well until the last few rides. I have a loud howl coming from the secondary unit at the back of the engine, seems to really howl when throttle on, and stops when you let off the throttle. I changed the gear oil and it was glistening with metal bits. After reading the forums, I took the boot loose from the rear of the engine and found that the shaft has broken where the nut holds the u-joint onto the splined shaft. I am needing advice on the repair, it seems like I have bearing issues as well? I have found a total set of gears,etc, on ebay fron a 1981 gs850 shaft, will these parts exchange with the 1100? any advise would be helpful. I have the engine running well, and dont want to give up just yet, without spending a ton of money.

Did the flange that is attached to the drive shaft with four bolts break off at the output shaft spline? If that is the case I have seen a repair somewhere on this site, don't remember where though.

The secondary drive gear set is a different part # on the 1000L and 850G. Don't know if it would work or not, my guess would be no but maybe someone else out there could chime in on that. I do know that the output shaft uses a tapered roller bearing, if the spline broke it unloaded the bearing and probably caused all kind of havoc, hence metal in the oil.

You might be able to take the output shaft out without splitting the engine, I seem to remember reading about that here also. I'm sure more help is on the way.

Good luck

Comment

secondary problems

Yes, the splined shaft that comes out of the unit, where the nut holds the u-joint onto the shaft has broken right at the nut. the nut and piece of shaft were just bouncing around inside the u-joint. its still driveable, but dont know what damage will occur if I keep driving. I read one forum topic where a guy drove 2000 miles after it broke. my bike is an 82 model, looks like the same bevel gear assembly as the 850?

Comment

Problem is that the nut that holds that on the shaft also holds tension on the tapered roller bearing inside the case. IMO I wouldn't ride it, it's in the process of eating itself already and will eventually lock up. Could be expensive, not to mention dangerous.

And someone else here might be able to shed some light on whether the 850 and 1100 gear sets are interchangeable, they do have different part #'s and may not be the same gear ratio meaning you would need to at least change out the pair.

Good Luck

Comment

The 850 unit is not the same as the 1100, they are not interchangeable.

sigpic
          mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
          hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
          #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
          #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
          Family Portrait
          Siblings and Spouses
          Mom's first ride
          Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
          (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

You should be able to find the whole "chunk" (from the secondary driven gear back) cheap. Its really your only play since you need the gear/shaft, and bearings. Take the assembly out of the cases and you'll know what you got. Hopefully the trans and secondary drive gear is ok. Follow the factory manual for setting lash and preload. Ride it if you're unhappy with breathin'

Comment

secondary gear replacement

Well, the GS Gods smile on us once in a while! I am up in the Texas panhandle and happened to know of a wrecking yard that has a ton of older cars, and also has a bone pile of old bikes in varying degrees of dissasembly. I looked across and ill be dadgummed if there wasnt an old gs1100, with frame and engine sitting there. I pulled the complete secondary set and found them in good condition!Got both for 30$ what a deal! The next day I spent about 4 hrs pulling wheel and swingarm, etc. loosened motor mount bolts and pinch bolts around the two gear sets, and found you need to pull the driven set first, then the side set. Got it all back together and it runs great with no whining noise. I really love riding the GS1100, the seat is one that you can stay on for hrs and not feel numb! Thanks for all the advice!

Comment

Working...
              X