Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Clutch spline issue

See here:

The transmission input shaft never moves in that video.

I think it's safe to say I need a new clutch sprocket. That's not normal, is it?

Plus the teeth are a bit chewed up.

Also, there's this:

That clearance gap is at least 15 thousands. There's plenty of room for that thing to rattle around when I let the clutch out- I think that's where most of the noise I heard was coming from. Is that normal?

Thanks
    -Matt

That's normal play in my opinion.
    I've seen way worse grooves on the inner hub but that looks like normal wear. You can clean it up a bit if you'd like but I don't think it's bad enough to hang up the clutch pack.
    Not sure what you are showing with the pressure plate in the second pic.
    Check the springs on the back of the outer hub. Those can get noisy.
    1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
    1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

Originally posted by chef1366 View Post
      That's normal play in my opinion.
      Not sure what you are showing with the pressure plate in the second pic,
      Check the springs on the back of the outer hub. Those can get noisy.
      Yessir, I did the screwdriver trick to add a preload and keep those from rattling.

In the second picture, I am trying to show what is about 1/32" play in that engaging mechanism. Because the noise I was experiencing only occured when i let the clutch out, I suspect that this engagement mechanism is rattling around inside that hole when it's unloaded.

Comment

Check the needle bearings on the clutch actuator while it's off.
        Those gears do have a lot of play in them but when the cover is installed the only play that will be in it is the small amount at the clutch lever.
        1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
        1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

Working...
        X