G/K question on final drive

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

G/K question on final drive

My drive hub on the wheel is hitting the breather port on the inside of the final drive only 2 of the studs are hitting not all of them. I've checked all the bearings and everything is nice and tight any idea's

Hi,

I'm not sure I understand you.

Does the spline gear in your wheel look like this?

Or this?

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

Yes my splines are all fine its just the back of the hub on the wheel where the studs are is hitting on the back of inside final drive case but only 2 of them. They are hitting on that dimple that is at the top of I think it was the 3rd picture you have on.

Comment

Hi,

Are you saying the studs are not flush with that side of the spline gear? How could that happen?

BassCliff

Comment

No the stud are flush its the metal around the stud. I had the wheel of to get a new tire put on and the guy that put my tire on was a Suzuki dealer for 20 years and he had never seen anything like it before so I thought I would see if anyone on here had ever had a problem like this.

Comment

Hi,

Hmmm, it sounds like the spline has been pull out of place during the tire mount/balance. It obviously was not rubbing before the new tire was installed.

If you lay the wheel on a flat surface, is the spline gear parallel?

BassCliff

Comment

Yes it was rubbing before the new tire was installed I just had the tire put on yesterday and I removed the rim myself and noticed it had been hitting. I have heard a noise at slow speed going straight but I thought the noise was coming from the secondary drive but I had that apart and everything was fine then when I took the wheel of I found this.

Comment

Have you got the little mounting tabs which hold the spline in ?, in the correct location. or are they missing? I have taken one wheel apart in the past where some one had replaced the splines but didn't replace the locking tabs and then it it like yours. pic #1 the 3 little gold plates with 2 screws each
                1984 GS1100GK newest addition to the heard
                80 GS 1000gt- most favorite ride love this bike
                1978 GS1000E- Known as "RoadKill" , Finished :D
                83 gs750ed- first new purchase
                85 EX500- vintage track weapon
                1958Ducati 98 Tourismo
                “Remember When in doubt use full throttle, It may not improve the situation ,but it will end the suspense ,
                If it isn't going to make it faster or safer it isn't worth doing

Comment

Yes the 3 locking tabs are in place.

Comment

Are the 3 locking tabs suppose to sit down in notches on the hub or could they be worn in the hub itself. I tap the hub lightly with a hammer and I could see it move from one side to the other and the tabs are sitting down in notches on the hub. I might need to take the flanges off and turn the hub and see if that will pull it down tight.

Comment

Sounds like you found your problem that shouldn't move in or out either tabs are worn [bent] or hub I would look closely at the little metal tabs .
                      1984 GS1100GK newest addition to the heard
                      80 GS 1000gt- most favorite ride love this bike
                      1978 GS1000E- Known as "RoadKill" , Finished :D
                      83 gs750ed- first new purchase
                      85 EX500- vintage track weapon
                      1958Ducati 98 Tourismo
                      “Remember When in doubt use full throttle, It may not improve the situation ,but it will end the suspense ,
                      If it isn't going to make it faster or safer it isn't worth doing

Comment

Thanks everyone I did find my problem the clips wore into the hub allowing it to move out in one spot. Thanks again.

Comment

Working...
                        X