Oil weeping from head

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Oil weeping from head

Hi all, have completed my build of my GS550E, but I have a slight oil leak coming from the head, both sides seemingly from where the 10mm nut is on top of the head, one side is worse than the other, its very slight but annoying cosidering the bike is now finished and engine painted and all looking new etc. I have been told that many of them do, is this true and is there a cure barr pulling head off again and inspecting?
    Cheers in advance.

Bike looks great, you should be proud of the work you did. My 550 has no oil leaks, so I think there is an issue with your engine.

Comment

Originally posted by FiremanBob View Post
      Bike looks great, you should be proud of the work you did. My 550 has no oil leaks, so I think there is an issue with your engine.
      Hope its just an issue with gaskets/seals rather than engine, obviously I put new on when I rebuilt the engine, its just a weep but damn annoying when its finished!

Comment

Have you re torqued the head? some times that will help, especially if you used a composet gasket.
        1984 GS1100GK newest addition to the heard
        80 GS 1000gt- most favorite ride love this bike
        1978 GS1000E- Known as "RoadKill" , Finished :D
        83 gs750ed- first new purchase
        85 EX500- vintage track weapon
        1958Ducati 98 Tourismo
        “Remember When in doubt use full throttle, It may not improve the situation ,but it will end the suspense ,
        If it isn't going to make it faster or safer it isn't worth doing

Comment

Originally posted by hjfisk View Post
          Have you re torqued the head? some times that will help, especially if you used a composet gasket.
          Yes I have re torqued it, it was an aftermarket gasket, aluminium type composite. it did improve a bit, but still leaking.

Comment

I've actually had oil drip down the threads of those small bolts on both sides. I used a permatex product called thread sealer or something like that. Fixed it for like five dollars.
            Intelligent search from Bing makes it easier to quickly find what you’re looking for and rewards you.
            1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
            1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

Originally posted by chef1366 View Post
              I've actually had oil drip down the threads of those small bolts on both sides. I used a permatex product called thread sealer or something like that. Fixed it for like five dollars.
              http://www.bing.com/search?q=permate...ox&FORM=IE8SRC
              Hey thanks, will try that, better than pulling the head, if it works

Comment

Working...
              X