Flooded Motor '83 GS1100G"L"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Flooded Motor '83 GS1100G"L"

Wifes bike; old battery died; put petcock on "prime" when trying to start; forgot to put petcock back to "on" and bike "may have been left this way a day or so...maybe more". New battery. Hit starter button, motor tried to spin, nothing. Checked and found petcock in "prime" position, put in "on" position, bike started after a few cranks. Lights were extremely bright and would dim as RPM increased; turn signals blinking slowly; gear indicator would dim when signals fired. Suspected poor ground. Short test ride bike seemed ok.
    About a week later tried to start bike and battery showed 5 volts; re-charge battery, start bike, neutral light on, dash lights ok, turn signals flash rapidly, motor sounds noisey.
    After reading Natikeds post, I'm thinking Hydro lock and more mechanical work than I'm capable of.
    Any thoughts?
    Thanks for any and all replys, I suspect I know what I SHOULD HAVE DONE, but that doesn't help me now!

If the motor spins, it's not hydro locked.

Open your oil cap and have a whiff, you'll be able to tell right away if there is gas in the oil.

Sounds like you need to find what's draining the battery while the bike is parked.
    Also never hurts to run through the stator papers just to rule that out as an issue.

Comment

Thanks for the tip. I don't remember if the battery is being drained while sitting. I think my short test ride was draining the battery on that ride. Maybe no charging system? But your tip sounds good. Thanks. Hopefully I can salvage any damage that I've done. What I'm afraid of is the gas/oil might have damaged the stator since it runs in the common oil bath to the crank, etc. Any failure there may have traveled "up stream" to the R/R. Just thinking...don't have any real proof...sure hate to think of the damage that MAY have been done.
      Again, thanks for the tip.

Comment

Working...
      X