Valve cover and half moon gaskets for GS850

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Valve cover and half moon gaskets for GS850

I have a 1982 GS850G and the valve cover that I replaced a year ago when I adjusted the valves is leaking. I bought an after market gasket , probably not a smart decision.
    I can't find any info on which gasket to use ( I am not having any luck with the search function) I know some gaskets are more prone to leak than others.
    I also need to replaced the half moon gaskets. I don't really know what they are called.
    Also I didn't use any gasket sealer the last time, is there a recommended one or they all the same ?
    If memory serves me correctly there are two gaskets for that year and model, one of them has an extra hole, does anyone know if that is correct?
    Any help is appreciated,
    Thanks Graybeard

Clean the cam end caps with some laquer thinner or other suitable solvent to get them oil free...do the same to the U they fit into in the head.

Apply a thin smear of Three Bond 1194, or some Ultra Black RTV to the head and insert them with the lip to the INSIDE of the head. yeah we know they came in the other way, but with the lip in, they wont squirt out and leak.

Next, while the RTV is soft, lay a straight edge across to level the flat top with the head surfaces. At this point, I usually let the RTV set up for a while.

Then when you apply the new gasket, add a little smear along the top of the rubber and a little past the ends and onto the head itself to assure a good bridged seal...done.
    Last edited by chuck hahn; 06-04-2013, 05:52 PM.
    MY BIKES..1977 GS 750 B, 1978 GS 1000 C (X2)
    1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

NEVER SNEAK UP ON A SLEEPING DOG..NOT EVEN YOUR OWN.

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

Hi,

Please feel free to visit my little website. You'll find all kinds of GS850G lovin' there.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

Chuck and I don't see quite eye-to-eye on all the details, but the principle is the same.

Yes, I agree with a thin smear of RTV or Three-Bond or whatever, on the curved portions of the half-moons. I have never had one spit out on me, so I install them with the lip on the outside.

Instead of using a straight edge, I will bolt the cam cover in place without a gasket (you only need to use the outer-most bolts for this) and use the cover to clamp the half-moons into place overnight.

Which gasket do you need? Count the holes in your valve cover. Actually, you don't need to count all of them. Look across the back edge, right in front of the carbs. If there are two bolts on each side, you have the early 16-bolt cover. If you see three bolts on each side, you will also see one just off-center at the front, meaning you have the newer 19-bolt cover.

Last edited by Steve; 06-05-2013, 10:21 PM.
        sigpic
        mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
        hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
        #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
        #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
        Family Portrait
        Siblings and Spouses
        Mom's first ride
        Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
        (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Well Steve..once you DO have one spit out on you, you will change your mind very quickly...trust me on that!!!

Un less you let the sealer set up real good its slippery and as you tighten the cover bolts they squirt right out. reversing them sems to stop this from happening.
          1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

Guys ,
            Thanks for the replies.
            I am a long ways from anyone who deals Suzuki parts. Can someone point me to a good online source and tell me what the gaskets at the cam ends are called?
            I think This time I will go with genuine Suzuki parts.

Thanks ,
            Graybeard

Comment

Whatever you do don't order from G&S Suzuki anymore. They suck. A month in, still not a single email about my order. I've called them four times, each time a different lame story. They used to be good.

When I checked the valves on the 1100 I found the PO had put a dense black chunk of foam under the chrome caps, maybe to keep the half moons in place, or maybe for some other reason. Seems like a decent idea, but I've never had one come out either.

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

A couple of months ago, you made your first post, about a bad starter. Click on the link I just gave you, scroll down to post #5 in that thread, you will see that BassCliff gave you a link to your Welcome Package. If you did not look at that link and read at least part of it, shame on you. Now, go back and read it, there is a LOT of good information there, including online vendors that are recommended and a few that are cautioned against.

The name for the half-moon is PLUG CYLINDER HEAD, and is part number 09241-23002.

sigpic
                mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
                hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
                #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
                #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
                Family Portrait
                Siblings and Spouses
                Mom's first ride
                Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
                (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Over the years I have seen the cam plugs blow out at times, and also seen them suck in at times after placing the lip to the inside. Seems to depend on the amount of crankcase pressure, etc. or blow by on higher mileage machines. I have tried applying several different types of sealers, gasgacinch etc. to the plugs over the years lip in lip out all with mixed results mostly bad. Personally I clean the rubber plugs until they are not shiny looking any more with lacquer thinner and then clean the U groove with it and install them "dry" then maybe a few dabs of sealer at the corners at the top of them. I place the lip to the outside then cut small pieces of soft fuel line and place them between the plug and the covers to insure holding them in place. Seems to last the longest for me. Just some fuel for thought of the different techniques used by different people. Cheers
                  sigpic 82 gs1100ez 1168 Wiseco,Web .348 Cams,Falicon Sprockets,Star Racing Ported Head,1mm o/s Stainless Valves,APE Springs,Bronze Guides,etc.APE Billet Tensioner,36CV Carbs,Stage 3 Dynojet,Plenum w/K&N filter,Trued,Welded,Balanced,Crank w/Katana rods & Billet left end, FBG backcut trans, VHR HD Clutch basket,APE nut,VHR High volume oil pump gears,1150 Oil cooler,V&H Megaphone header w/Competition baffle,Dyna S,Coils,Wires,etc.Other misc.mods.

Comment

Now thats a great idea..put a backing pad behind the covers to press on them. I for sure will remember this pearl.

Comment

To all,
                      Thanks for the help and info.
                      Steve I have read and referenced the Basscliff website for three years now and find it extremely helpful.
                      I also explained that I could not get the search function to work on this site. I kept getting fatal errors for every search request.
                      Sometimes it is good just to get an answer from the experiences of others.
                      So I guess if thats a "shame on me " so be it.

Graybeard

Comment

Chuck,

Question for ya, what causes them to squirt out a there? There shouldn't be any case pressure if the breather is open and unobstructed and nothing should be hitting it from the inside.

I clean up the surface with brake cleaner, use a little Yamabond and bolt her up with a gasket, haven't seen any leaks and no problems.
                        Last edited by Guest; 06-07-2013, 06:58 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by bbjumper View Post
                          Chuck,

Question for ya, what causes them to squirt out a there? There shouldn't be any case pressure if the breather is open and unobstructed and nothing should be hitting it from the inside.

I clean up the surface with brake cleaner, use a little Yamabond and bolt her up with a gasket, haven't seen any leaks and no problems.
                          IMO, they only pop out if fitted incorrectly. if it was an issue then why weren't they modified to stop them popping out.
                          as you say there is no pressure to speak of to push them out, or in for that matter,and the cams themselves will stop them going inwards.
                          if someone thinks theirs is getting "sucked" in then they have serious engine issues!!!!1
                          1978 GS1085.

Just remember, an opinion without 3.14 is just an onion!

Comment

I agree with all just telling what I have seen in the past 30 yrs. working at a dealership. And having to file warranty claims from pesty leaks. By taking the shiny look off the plugs seems to soften them just a little and allows them to bond to the head surface itself. I remember adjusting valves on new bikes in the 80's and seeing the rubber stuck (bonded) to the head when removing them and they were installed dry with no sealer from the factory.. Also as hot as the air cooled motors get they tend to harden and shrink the rubber plugs allowing them to move around.
                            If any of you remember some of the Kawasaki KZ 650's had a bolt that ran through the center of the camshaft end plugs was there solution to that looming problem. Also I have seen aftermarket aluminum plugs with a lip or (flange) on both sides that I have wrapped with a little Teflon tape as sealer.
                            sigpic 82 gs1100ez 1168 Wiseco,Web .348 Cams,Falicon Sprockets,Star Racing Ported Head,1mm o/s Stainless Valves,APE Springs,Bronze Guides,etc.APE Billet Tensioner,36CV Carbs,Stage 3 Dynojet,Plenum w/K&N filter,Trued,Welded,Balanced,Crank w/Katana rods & Billet left end, FBG backcut trans, VHR HD Clutch basket,APE nut,VHR High volume oil pump gears,1150 Oil cooler,V&H Megaphone header w/Competition baffle,Dyna S,Coils,Wires,etc.Other misc.mods.

Comment

Working...
                            X