Clutch problems

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Clutch problems

Per this thread I changed the springs but it didn't do anything, upon further review. The main symptom is slippage when shifting up through higher gears at around 5500 RPM.

So per the thread I want to next check the fibers and steels.

To get the clutch over off, this time I will leave the linkage on and just remove the bolts and the oil cap to get the cover off.

Could use some advice for next steps to remove and inspect, replace, etc.

Looking at the fiche it looks as if after I remove all the springs the pressure disk will just come off in my hands. Then there are these three parts listed below I cannot tell how to handle or if they need to be removed to get the fibers and steels out.

RACK, RELEASE 23165-49200
    BEARING 09263-15003
    WASHER 09160-15015

Thanks in advance for all your help.
    -Bob

remove the springs, pull off the pressure plate then the other 3 items will either come out with the pressure plate, or fall on the floor. then you can pull all the plates out.
    1978 GS1085.

Just remember, an opinion without 3.14 is just an onion!

Comment

From what I have described with the high engine speed slipping, is it obvious I need the fibers and I should just order and replace them? I would really like to have ready any replacement parts I may need.

Comment

i wouldn't go buying anything until you pull it apart and determine what needs replacing....
        1978 GS1085.

Comment

Originally posted by Agemax View Post
          i wouldn't go buying anything until you pull it apart and determine what needs replacing....
          Will try harder to resist the urge!

Comment

if you really have to, you should buy new springs, new fibre and steel plates, new H/D hub nut and of course a cover gasket. but that works out a lot of money if you pull it apart and find the springs and steel plates still within factory tolerances.
            the new h/d nut is advisable but not a necessity, fibres and/or springs are the likely culprits
            1978 GS1085.

Comment

I put new springs in there and the pressure at the lever is really strong.

Comment

Originally posted by littleroot View Post
                I put new springs in there and the pressure at the lever is really strong.
                well that narrows it down even more then!
                1978 GS1085.

Comment

Could be the type of engine oil your using as well, try changing it

could be glazed/worn fiber plates, could be glazed/worn steel plates

springs you have changed, and cable adjustment has been made....so we can probably rule those out, unless the cable your using is stretching...

pull the clutch apart and inspect, before you buy anything....

Comment

Had the same issue with my 1100EX recently, replaced the fibers & all is well now...

I chose the aftermarket FBG fibers over the OEM ones based on price. A new OEM fiber is around $20+, while the FBG ones are less than $9 apiece.

They have worked very well for me, no complaints & would go the same route again. And yes, I replaced the piano wire as well - buy 2 or 3 of them (they're cheap), I broke one installing it.

Note, I replaced the springs & steels previously (with new OEM), but it didn't fix it completely.
                    '85 GS550L - SOLD
                    '85 GS550E - SOLD
                    '82 GS650GL - SOLD
                    '81 GS750L - SOLD
                    '82 GS850GL - trusty steed
                    '80 GS1100L - son's project bike
                    '82 GS1100G - SOLD
                    '81 GS1100E - Big Red (daily rider)

Comment

here is some pictures of my Yamaha clutch taken apart, somewhat similar to the GS

Comment

Originally posted by hikermikem View Post
                        Had the same issue with my 1100EX recently, replaced the fibers & all is well now...

I chose the aftermarket FBG fibers over the OEM ones based on price. A new OEM fiber is around $20+, while the FBG ones are less than $9 apiece.

They have worked very well for me, no complaints & would go the same route again. And yes, I replaced the piano wire as well - buy 2 or 3 of them (they're cheap), I broke one installing it.

Note, I replaced the springs & steels previously (with new OEM), but it didn't fix it completely.
                        Ah so fibers is the fix. I know it is a lot of money but I am itching to buy. Yes I have a bad case of GAS, gear acquisition Syndrome.

Babbits is "only" $17.50 each for stock fibers and $6.37 for steels

Comment

Originally posted by GateKeeper View Post
                          here is some pictures of my Yamaha clutch taken apart, somewhat similar to the GS

Nice pics.

I was wondering how all these plates and fibers go back together. So I align all the tabs and make sure the fibers are all facing the same way, and that is it?

Comment

more or less....yes,,,make sure you note the order on your bike.....

if your getting new fiber plates, soak them in oil overnight before you use them.

I don't think there is a front or back on the plates, metal or fiber, but my Yamaha steel plates feel different from one side to the other so I put them in the same way, by the way those are what were in it, I have not changed them.

now my GS is slipping as well, so my first thing will be to change the oil, if no change then it will be taken apart to check the specs on the springs, and plates, ad if anything is not in spec then it will get changed out for new.

Comment

Originally posted by GateKeeper View Post
                              more or less....yes,,,make sure you note the order on your bike.....

if your getting new fiber plates, soak them in oil overnight before you use them.

I don't think there is a front or back on the plates, metal or fiber, but my Yamaha steel plates feel different from one side to the other so I put them in the same way, by the way those are what were in it, I have not changed them.

now my GS is slipping as well, so my first thing will be to change the oil, if no change then it will be taken apart to check the specs on the springs, and plates, ad if anything is not in spec then it will get changed out for new.

Oil I have been using is the same I have always used, on this and my other GS1100, Shell Rotella T6 Full Synthetic. Tom and this forum turned me onto it and as far as i can tell it has worked well.

I think the fibers and steels are probably done worn out, like many other things I found on this bike. No surprise after 50,000 miles. I did not find record on GSR that he ever changed them.

Comment

Working...
                              X