No announcement yet.

valve shim results on my GS1000E

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yes love the calculator much better than the one I tossed together.
    The sizes are metric may have inadvertently put the “if so sorry was copying it in word to paste not having very good luck with the attachments here.

Good idea, didn’t think to hit up the dealer
    Putting engine oil on the shims let them glide under the lobes just a real thin coating to make them slick.

Up to that point, think they may have been too dry as the feelers would not go under, maybe why my original readings where off so much again this is just what I found to worked for me

Attached Steve’s calculator Printout in PDF hope it works

Comment

My only question, is this: if this is your FIRST valve adjustment, how did you get "Previous Clearance" values?

That line is blanked out on the first page, and is only available starting on the second page, after you have entered your values on the first page.

I have been thinking that the included instructions were rather clear, evidently I am going to have to go back and re-think them.

sigpic
      mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
      hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
      #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
      #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
      Family Portrait
      Siblings and Spouses
      Mom's first ride
      Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
      (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

have to agree it’s hard to put 1st clearance values seems to be that some cells are blocked from writing and the math rounds up sorry this is long

Rotated the cam into position indicated by Basscliff pdf then attempted to measure the values they were so tight the first shims .0015 would barley fit under one was .002 (example see chart)
        Remove wrote down the shim sizes at each location then measure them with a caliper

Being the 1st time was subject to a huge deviation as mentioned below the clearance was tight which bugged me when the new shims arrived had more time to evaluate the ranges swapped out the 1st shims with the values calculated on my own excel measurement sheet think I sent you a copy that was the 1st chart here.

After I received the Steve version (love it a hundred times better) :>)
        Plugged in the 1st set of numbers something did not sync? Had written down the inch size Corrected when I had the Steve version was how I found the error.

Went back and removed all the shims one at a time again and separated feeler gauges into 10 then tried again to measure had a hard time as before applied a little oil and got the real numbers and rechecked the numbers apparently Dry lobes are harder to measure.

Which then became the Steve 1st set of clearance values and the shims as noted correctly this time for example the shim said 2.8 (but really was 2.77)

When the z 1st shims arrived measured them and placed into position
        which became the new values Steve 1st adjustment once I had those values finished the 1st initial valve shim (rough adjustment) 2nd time determined the # 4 was still tight compared to the others completed the 2nd set (Final) have to go again and recheck started the bike to reseat the shims and will do another shim feeler check as some sounded loose someone said you may have to do this 3 times I see why

Comment

Working...
        X