starting issues

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

starting issues

I got a 1977 GS550E for free the bike had been sitting under a balcony for tenish years 9or that's what I was told) the bike doesn't have a battery. I tried hooking up a 6v lawn mower battery but it didn't work and it wont start by kicking it over. the motor is not seized. could anyone point me in the right direction on getting this bike started?

Originally posted by Dakota91 View Post
    I got a 1977 GS550E for free the bike had been sitting under a balcony for tenish years 9or that's what I was told) the bike doesn't have a battery. I tried hooking up a 6v lawn mower battery but it didn't work and it wont start by kicking it over. the motor is not seized. could anyone point me in the right direction on getting this bike started?
    For starters, you need a 12 volt battery- if you use a car battery and jumpers MAKE SURE the car is NOT RUNNING or it will be back under balcony. Please head to Basscliff's if you are serious about getting this bike running again

1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

you will be needing a whole lot more than just a new battery. carb dip, tank flush, oil and filter change, and thats just the basics to start with
      1978 GS1085.

Just remember, an opinion without 3.14 is just an onion!

Comment

the battery might not be your only issue, could be fuel, air, or electrical, all must be somewhat in descent shape for the bike to get started...

and from the look of the bike in the picture, I wouldn't be surprised if all 3 conditions are not met....

as mentioned, head on over to BassClif's site

and here is a helping hand as well

Greetings and Salutations,

Every once in a while I will miss a new member or two and they may not receive their proper greeting. If you are here you probably have a 30 year old motorcycle that needs about 20 years worth of maintenance. In the links below you'll find maintenance lists, documentation, wiring diagrams, "how to" guides, vendor links, tips, tricks, and a whole lot of GS goodness. This is your "mega-welcome". Let's get started.

Let me dump a TON of information on you and share some GS lovin'.

I just stopped by to welcome you to the forum in my own, special way.

If there's anything you'd like to know about the Suzuki GS model bikes, and most others actually, you've come to the right place. There's a lot of knowledge and experience here in the community. Come on in and let me say "HOoooowwwDY!"....

Here is your very own magical, mystical, mythical, mind-expanding "mega-welcome". Please take notice of the "Top 10 Common Issues", "Top 15 Tips For GS Happiness", the Carb Cleanup Series, and the Stator Papers. All of these tasks must be addressed in order to have a safe, reliable machine. This is what NOT to do: Top 10 Newbie Mistakes. Now let me roll out the welcome mat for you...

Please Click Here For Your Mega-Welcome, chock full of tips, suggestions, links to vendors, and other information. Then feel free to visit my little BikeCliff website where I've been collecting the wisdom of this generous community. Don't forget, we like pictures! Not you, your bike!

More links to helpful threads in the forum:
        Help! Your Bike Won't Start
        DON'T DO THESE THINGS
        Help! Your Bike Won't Run Well
        Oh God! Pods!

Thanks for joining us. Keep us informed.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff
        Last edited by Guest; 06-12-2013, 11:44 AM.

Comment

thanks for all the info! ill definitely have a lot of work ahead of me. do you have any recommendations for a battery or any tips on cleaning the carbs?

Comment

Valves adjusted
            Brake master cylinders flushed at a minimum ( may need full rebuilds)
            New brake lines ( they are old and un reliable)
            All calipers torn down and serviced properly ( they need to work right EVER time!!!)
            New oil and filter
            Tires are most likely started to dry rot..and they are at least 9 or 10 years old to boot
            Complete electrical system checks and ALL wiring harness connectors cleaned

You cantb ta anything for granted and you cant take any short cuts...it COULD easily cost you a helll of a crash or even your death. Sorry to be so blunt, but we want you to ride with confidence in the machine and be safe.
            Last edited by chuck hahn; 06-10-2013, 12:47 PM.
            MY BIKES..1977 GS 750 B, 1978 GS 1000 C (X2)
            1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

NEVER SNEAK UP ON A SLEEPING DOG..NOT EVEN YOUR OWN.

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

Once you get the Mega Welcome...follow the carb rebuild tutorials to the letter You can do them yourself for the investment in some Berrymans, some chaep orings, and some new bowl gaskets..Probably less than 75 bucks worth of stuff and some much needed futer experience..you WILL be redoin g the carbs again at some pint..I guarentee that!!!
              MY BIKES..1977 GS 750 B, 1978 GS 1000 C (X2)
              1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

NEVER SNEAK UP ON A SLEEPING DOG..NOT EVEN YOUR OWN.

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

Go with a sealed battery. I am using an X2Power, lil mo money= better electrodes

Comment

im mainly working on this bike for experience, but would it be worth it to get a title for it? I would love to ride the bike on the street when its done, but I was thinking about getting a different non-running bike with a tittle and just transferring the parts. title or transferring parts?

Comment

Does anyone know what kind of mikunis these carbs are?

Comment

Originally posted by Dakota91 View Post
                      Does anyone know what kind of mikunis these carbs are?
                      They look like the standard VM-series that came on GSes before 1980.

The size will depend on the size of the bike on which they are mounted.

sigpic
                      mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
                      hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
                      #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
                      #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
                      Family Portrait
                      Siblings and Spouses
                      Mom's first ride
                      Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
                      (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

according to the vin tag on the frames fork tube. the bike is a 1977 GS550E. I was thinking they were a VM series but I wasn't sure because I cant find a whole lot on them, maybe I'm looking in the wrong places. thanks for your help!

Comment

What kind of help are you looking for?

Click HERE to see the VM rebuilding guide on BassCliff's site.

You did remember that virtually anything related to a GS is in BassCliff's library?

sigpic
                          mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
                          hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
                          #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
                          #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
                          Family Portrait
                          Siblings and Spouses
                          Mom's first ride
                          Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
                          (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

yeah I saw the stuff on bassclifs site, turned out I was looking in the wrong spots...
                            im mainly looking for things on how to go through the top end of the engine, such as valve specs cam degreeing and spark plug types I can use. im also wondering if I should tittle the bike or find a frame with a title.

Comment

It sounds like you want the factory service manual then, which is also on BassCliff's site. I'd link directly to it, but there are two for the 550's and I can't be arsed to figure out which one is right for your bike.
                              Charles
                              --
                              1979 Suzuki GS850G

Read BassCliff's GSR Greeting and Mega-Welcome!

Comment

Working...
                              X