Tach gear question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tach gear question

Had a bad valve cover oil leak on my '82 GS650G, so I made a gasket out of permatex. After assembly, I realized i didn't check to see the tach gear aligned with the cam gear. I should have tested, but I pulled the tach gear out, now I can't get it back in. Of course I broke the screw ear off in the process. Is there a special way to get that gear to go back in?

When I put cam cover back on, I first disconnect tach cable at cover end- this lets tach gear drive mate nicely with cam gear as it drops on. In your case, it sounds like gears did not mesh and if/when you tightenned the cover down, the two gears are likely jammed. Best to remove cover and try again.
    Permatex??? You can get genuine suzuki gasket for $20 or aftermarket for maybe $15. If any semi-dried bits of permatex fall off inside cover (very likely) they have good potential for clogging oil feed holes. Bad news as these motors like oil flowing.

Have you found this guy's info?
    1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

Hi Mr. ghack,

That gear should just wiggle back in. Have a look here: Replace Tach Cable Seals

Below is your "mega-welcome" and should also prove helpful in your maintenance endeavors.

If you are here you probably have a 30 year old motorcycle that needs about 20 years worth of maintenance. In the links below you'll find maintenance lists, documentation, wiring diagrams, "how to" guides, vendor links, tips, tricks, and a whole lot of GS goodness. This is your "mega-welcome". Let's get started.

Let me dump a TON of information on you and share some GS lovin'.

I just stopped by to welcome you to the forum in my own, special way.

If there's anything you'd like to know about the Suzuki GS model bikes, and most others actually, you've come to the right place. There's a lot of knowledge and experience here in the community. Come on in and let me say "HOoooowwwDY!"....

Here is your very own magical, mystical, mythical, mind-expanding "mega-welcome". Please take notice of the "Top 10 Common Issues", "Top 15 Tips For GS Happiness", the Carb Cleanup Series, and the Stator Papers. All of these tasks must be addressed in order to have a safe, reliable machine. This is what NOT to do: Top 10 Newbie Mistakes. Now let me roll out the welcome mat for you...

Please Click Here For Your Mega-Welcome, chock full of tips, suggestions, links to vendors, and other information. Then feel free to visit my little BikeCliff website where I've been collecting the wisdom of this generous community. Don't forget, we like pictures! Not you, your bike!

More links to helpful threads in the forum:
      Help! Your Bike Won't Start
      DON'T DO THESE THINGS
      Help! Your Bike Won't Run Well
      Oh God! Pods!

Thanks for joining us. Keep us informed.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

On this model and all models with the tach gear in the valve cover, you must have a valve cover gasket in there to create the proper spacing.

If you're just using sealer, then the gear will be way too close to the camshaft and you won't be able to re-insert it. If you installed the valve cover with the tach gear in place, it would make some very unpleasant and expensive noises the first time you tried to start the bike.

The solution, of course, is to order up an OEM gasket. Beware -- there are some aftermarket gaskets out there that are far too thin.

The good news is that you get to remove all that nasty Permatex...

Install the new gasket with a light coating of grease (never use sealer on GS gaskets) and you'll be able to re-use it through several valve checks.
        1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
        2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
        2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
        Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Co-host of "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at tro.bike!

Comment

Thanks for the tips/info

This is great. Thanks for the info guys. I never imagined a site exclusively for GS. Now i'm learning all the things I probably should have done a long time ago. I got mine new in '84, and it still runs great, which is surprising as I haven't always treated it the best. My tach still works, but the gear still won't go in all the way. Probably as bwringer mentioned the clearance is too close. I'll probably get the proper gasket and have a do-over. I'll check my valve clearances this time.

Comment

Working...
          X