engine temps

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

engine temps

What type of engine temps are you all seeing? i have an 1100e and im seeing approx 280 290f once im at highway speeds it cools a liitle when the rpms come down in the city. I think its a little hotter since i removed the old exhuast and put on v&h and re jetted. It was about 95f at the time.

with an oil cooler on my 1100 es i rarely see boiling. usually around 200-210. but this is in michigan, texas is another story.
    1983 GS 1100 ESD

Comment

I pointed an IR themometer at the exhaust flanges on my engine after a ride and got temps in the 400 degree range. Upon reading up on the topic, however, I leaned that exhaust temperature is typically much hotter than engine temperature and doesn't mean much.

How are you measuring your engine temperature?
      Charles
      --
      1979 Suzuki GS850G

Read BassCliff's GSR Greeting and Mega-Welcome!

Comment

Originally posted by snicrep5 View Post
        What type of engine temps are you all seeing? i have an 1100e and im seeing approx 280 290f once im at highway speeds it cools a liitle when the rpms come down in the city. I think its a little hotter since i removed the old exhuast and put on v&h and re jetted. It was about 95f at the time.
        Where are you measuring those temps, and with what equipment?

Note that use of an infrared thermometer will be different than a sensor under a spark plug, and will also depend on whether you point it at the head, the intake valve area, the exhaust collar, the oil pan, etc. If you are using an oil temp gauge, have you checked it for accuracy?

sigpic
        mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
        hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
        #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
        #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
        Family Portrait
        Siblings and Spouses
        Mom's first ride
        Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
        (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Yesterday, 75 deg F, 180 deg +/- w/ hi vol oil pump, 1150 cooler, top end oiler, & fresh oil. We'll see what summer heat brings with this new set up.

I think your oil is too hot(why?) or your gauge is wrong

Comment

the reading is from my stock gage. it falls a little more than half-way between 210 and 320. Im also thing maybe its a little lean since the change, so Ill recheck that. It is a little flat at 6000rpm but thats a problem for the carb section. btw Im running rotella 15-40. I need to check into an oil cooler. Where can I get one?

Comment

Use the search function. It is your best friend. There are many threads on the subject.

Comment

Originally posted by snicrep5 View Post
                the reading is from my stock gage. it falls a little more than half-way between 210 and 320. Im also thing maybe its a little lean since the change, so Ill recheck that. It is a little flat at 6000rpm but thats a problem for the carb section. btw Im running rotella 15-40. I need to check into an oil cooler. Where can I get one?
                Look for an 1150 oil cooler and get the large banjo bolts. The covers have gotten pricey but you can use a bolt with washer instead. Install in the factory ports either side of the oil cover.Use the search as recommended
                Last edited by posplayr; 06-12-2013, 10:37 AM.

Comment

thanks. sometimes using the search requires a lot of time to sift, but yes ive found some more info.

Comment

In Fl 95 deg summer temps, the oil temp gauge on my 1150E always indicated around 190 deg.
                    All the robots copy robots.

Komorebi-The light filtering through the trees.

You are free to choose, but you are not free from the consequences of your choices.

Comment

Working...
                    X