Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

really tough to remove valve cvr gasket

At some point has to reinstall the valve cover on the Gs1000e

Usually scrape and pull off the gasket with razor etc.. Mine may have been glued as they come off in itty bitty pieces.

The frame is in the way and using razor is one method that sort of works dependent on how badly you scrape up the metal under the gasket. Regular gasket scraper won’t scrape under the gasket

they use to make a gasket removal solvent can’t find here in Lake county IL all the good stuff went bye bye with the EPA

Looking for suggestions what else has been tried and works ?

Originally posted by Recoush View Post
    At some point has to reinstall the valve cover on the Gs1000e

Usually scrape and pull off the gasket with razor etc.. Mine may have been glued as they come off in itty bitty pieces.

The frame is in the way and using razor is one method that sort of works dependent on how badly you scrape up the metal under the gasket. Regular gasket scraper won’t scrape under the gasket

they use to make a gasket removal solvent can’t find here in Lake county IL all the good stuff went bye bye with the EPA

Looking for suggestions what else has been tried and works ?
    They sell it at advance Auto in GraysLake, and even have it in stock....R

Comment

Spray gasket remover in a cup and dab it on. Allow some time to work and then scrape. Repeat about six more times and you should have it. Can't be in a hurry. Consider it the right of passage into the "properly maintained GS" club.
      Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

Remove it piece by piece. (in my case it was little pieces layer by layer) Your fingers will hurt, your neck will hurt and you'll go through half a box of blades. Even with the gasket remover. Been there..
        Unfortunately there is no easy way. Just don't gouge the aluminum in the process.
        sigpic

82 GS850
        78 GS1000
        04 HD Fatboy

...............................____
        .................________-|___\____
        ..;.;;.:;:;.,;.|__(O)___|____/_(O)|

Comment

I have had good luck using the edge of a small stainless ruler- 1/2 inch wide by 6 inch long- it's hardenned but tends to gouge less than razor which I also use.
          1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

It won't help you now but an old racer/mechanic (who was rebuilding 4 engines at a time of his own plus many others) showed me how he would spray both sides of his gaskets with Chrome silver spray paint. Not only did it make the gaskets easy to take off, but most of the time he could spray the gasket again and then use it one or two more times as long as he was going to use it in the same engine. Any silver residue on the mating surface can be removed with enamel thinners. I've been doing the same for about the last tweny years with good results most of the time. Don't do this to James or Cometic gaskets that have a silicone bead. These usually release easily and can be used several times if going back in the same engine.

Comment

Thank you everyone for Great answers

Will also check at advance they had no clue when was their now I have the Information. Ended up putting a v edge in the metal gasket scraper and got under the gasket and pulled up with pliers.

Biggest issue is all the smaller paper around the cams and shims got 90 percent and managed not get any over the edge of the chain valley

Still was about an hour to do the tuff job, maybe the gasket cleaner will get the last bit off

Thanks again everyone many great answers
              still waiting on my shims likely saturday which is OK

Comment

i like the paint trick. will have to remember that one.
                Yamaha fz1 2007

Comment

Working...
                X