Clutch issue

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Clutch issue

Hey guys my GS is running great,and today as it's raining I decided to give it a well deserved cleaning. But I noticed when I am on a gear other then neutral even thought the clutch lever is pulled out to it's limit, I have a resistance when trying to roll the bike around.

Then to see if it's not the brake dragging, I tried to kick it with the kill switch off in first gear and with clutch lever pulled out and it made the rear wheel spin a bit.

Clutch cable is brand new, it's like it'won't full disengage and this is the first time it happens to me .

it sounds like the cable needs adjusting correctly. did you have the same problem before you fitted the new cable?
    1978 GS1085.

Just remember, an opinion without 3.14 is just an onion!

Comment

Originally posted by Agemax View Post
      it sounds like the cable needs adjusting correctly. did you have the same problem before you fitted the new cable?
      Nop, maybe the new cable just got longer from normal use?

Comment

you need to adjust the cable properly. slacken off both cable adjusters, top and bottom.
        loosen the locknut on the pushrod adjuster and screw it in until it just feels resistance against the pushrod then back it out 1/4 turn and tighten locknut.
        remove cable freeplay with bottom adjuster until you have 2-3mm play at the lever.
        the clutch should work fine then.
        you can make fine adjustments with the adjuster on the lever
        1978 GS1085.

Comment

No matter how you adjust the clutch there will still be some drag, there are seven or eight plates with oil between them moving against each other, you will always have more resistance when rolling the bike around in gear than you would in neutral.

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Originally posted by tkent02 View Post
            No matter how you adjust the clutch there will still be some drag, there are seven or eight plates with oil between them moving against each other, you will always have more resistance when rolling the bike around in gear than you would in neutral.
            true, but it shouldn't spin the rear wheel while kicking the engine over with the clutch disengaged.
            1978 GS1085.

Comment

Thanks guys I freaked out a bit, I am going to adjust the clutch and report back with any update.

Comment

true, but it shouldn't spin the rear wheel while kicking the engine over with the clutch disengaged.
                On or off the centerstand? If it's up the wheel will spin. If it's down, he shouldn't be able to spin it with or without the cutch disengaged. I really couldn't understand the original post, how do you pull a lever out?

Comment

On or off the centerstand? If it's up the wheel will spin. If it's down, he shouldn't be able to spin it with or without the cutch disengaged. I really couldn't understand the original post, how do you pull a lever out?
                  it's on the kickstand the result is the bike goes forward as I Kick even thought I have fully disengaged the clutch by pulling on the clutch lever

Comment

i think you know as well as i do what he means.............
                    the fact he was pushing the bike around suggests it is not on the centrestand
                    1978 GS1085.

Comment

i think you know as well as i do what he means.............
                      the fact he was pushing the bike around suggests it is not on the centrestand
                      I only know what I read, the first post was ambiguous at best.

Originally posted by gs77 View Post
                      it's on the kickstand the result is the bike goes forward as I Kick even thought I have fully disengaged the clutch by pulling on the clutch lever
                      Are the plates stuck together from sitting?

Comment

lets see what happens after he has adjusted the cable properly, and then go from there..........
                        1978 GS1085.

Comment

One more thing I thought of, was the new cable the right one?

Comment

After servicing my bike over the winter, there was a lot of drag in the clutch. Even with the clutch lever properly adjusted, it never seemed like it was even slightly disengaging the wheel from the engine. I finally just said "to hell with it", started it up, squeezed the clutch, and popped it in first. The clutch freed itself right up immediately. It still drags noticeably, when running or just when pushing it around, but never enough to cause any surprises or issues.
                            Last edited by eil; 06-11-2013, 10:49 PM.
                            Charles
                            --
                            1979 Suzuki GS850G

Read BassCliff's GSR Greeting and Mega-Welcome!

Comment

clutch was adjusted perfectly checked twice and nothing wrong with it. I discovered a bad really bad surprise my kick start is dead can't use it anymore, I have no resistance when in neutral, and electric starter seems to keep on spinning when I try to start the bike I hear a whining noise when the bike is almost staring even thought I am not pressing on the button anymore!

Comment

Working...
                              X