Strange problems

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Strange problems

So I just finished doing my 20 years of maintenance, (except for airbox sealing and upgrading ignition system) and so I decided to take her out for a little spin around the block and see how she was running. Thankfully I didn't have a climbing idle (Yay for new O-rings) but I did have a couple other problems that I've never had before. To start off with I couldn't really give romp on the throttle because it seemed like it was slipping. The revs would shoot up then back down a little and catch. Also it was really delayed when I did give it throttle, kind of a pulsing almost, and last it sounded like I was backfiring a little bit. There were a few soft pops from behind me that I figure were backfires but they were very quiet. Any ideas?

To the first part revs climb with no forward motion sounds like a slipping clutch, Check that you have some free play in the cable.What bike is it , CV carbs or slide a bit more info may help get some answers

Comment

plus it would help a bit if we knew what bike you are talking about.....
      1978 GS1085.

Just remember, an opinion without 3.14 is just an onion!

Comment

Crap I'm sorry guys, I guess I was a little tired when I wrote that, it's a 1980 gs550l

Also that was my first thought but I've never had that problem before, and although I haven't driven it much since last year I did get a couple rides in this year before I started doing work on it. Plus the fact that it's never slipped before and usually a clutch going out wears gradually not all at once, I'll check the cable though.
        Last edited by Guest; 06-13-2013, 09:47 PM.

Comment

For a slipping clutch cable adjustment is most likely culprit, second is weak springs, third is incorrect oil.

The second bit could be the engine missing. If the cylinders fire normally and then miss, fuel goes into the exhaust and ignites there (backfires). There's a lot that can cause this, unfortunately, and it's going to require some process of elimination if it's a chronic thing. Does it sound like it's firing on all (four?) when idling? It's normal to have some popping when chopping the throttle closed. If it's not a huge deal, you might wait until you've serviced the airbox and swap out the ignition to rule those out.
          Charles
          --
          1979 Suzuki GS850G

Read BassCliff's GSR Greeting and Mega-Welcome!

Comment

[QUOTE=eil;1881363The second bit could be the engine missing.[/QUOTE]

i ithink i would notice if my engine was MISSING! there would be a very big empty space in the frame.......LOL
            1978 GS1085.

Comment

Hah! I guess that'll learn me to post replies well after my bed time...

So, Scaxx, as I was saying... your motorcycle has an engine, right?
              Charles
              --
              1979 Suzuki GS850G

Read BassCliff's GSR Greeting and Mega-Welcome!

Comment

It has to have an engine, because he said the throttle was slipping. There needs to be a plce to put the slipping throttle, so the engine must be there.

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Originally posted by tkent02 View Post
                  It has to have an engine, because he said the throttle was slipping. There needs to be a plce to put the slipping throttle, so the engine must be there.
                  the carbs could be just attached to the airbox, dont need an engine to mount the airbox!
                  1978 GS1085.

Comment

Originally posted by Agemax View Post
                    i ithink i would notice if my engine was MISSING! there would be a very big empty space in the frame.......LOL
                    Sure would make for a very light bike, talk about your horsepower to weight ratio!
                    sigpicMrBill Been a GSR member on and off since April 2002
                    1980 GS 750E Bought new in Feb of 1980
                    2015 CAN AM RTS

Stuff I've done to my bike 1100E front end with new Sonic springs, 1100E swing arm conversion with new Progressive shocks installed, 530 sprockets/chain conversion, new SS brake lines, new brake pads. New SS fasteners through out. Rebuilt carbs, new EBC clutch springs and horn installed. New paint. Motor runs strong.

Comment

Originally posted by mrbill5491 View Post
                      Sure would make for a very light bike, talk about your horsepower to weight ratio!
                      surely without an engine it would be "manpower" to weight ratio?
                      1978 GS1085.

Comment

Originally posted by eil View Post
                        For a slipping clutch cable adjustment is most likely culprit, second is weak springs, third is incorrect oil.

The second bit could be the engine missing. If the cylinders fire normally and then miss, fuel goes into the exhaust and ignites there (backfires). There's a lot that can cause this, unfortunately, and it's going to require some process of elimination if it's a chronic thing. Does it sound like it's firing on all (four?) when idling? It's normal to have some popping when chopping the throttle closed. If it's not a huge deal, you might wait until you've serviced the airbox and swap out the ignition to rule those out.
                        I do have an engine haha, but I'll start with the ignition system and make sure everything is working correctly. Hopefully I'll get a chance to work on it this weekend, I haven't even been able to touch it since I ran it the other day

Comment

Working...
                        X