Down to nothing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Down to nothing

I did a round trip to San Diego back in March on my G to see my oldest Son, Mom and my best friend from college, I love to see my boy and Mom but I do like using that trip to kinda get away and put in some miles with the iPod and my thoughts. I did 1100 mi. in three days, third time I have done that since I got the Zook. Any way when I get out there I notice just a small amount of oil in the edge of the rear rim, check the oil and it's down a couple of ounces or so which gets my attention caus it hasn't used more than about four ounces between oil changes prior to the trip. I follow the trail back up to the mystery hole. long story short, I'm loosin it outa the secondary drive vent, HOLY $HIT !<++*#%@?.

I just replaced that vent line after I found water in the secondary drive after a wash. I rode the bike about 15 miles or so, when I stopped oil was all over the left rear of the bike. Gear oil + water = overfilled + high speed = drain and fill with fresh gear oil. Now this ? = seals between gear box and secondary drive compromised.

I refill and hold my breath on the way home, I get home and immediately notice that my luck is holding, more oil , this time I'm down four ounces. $hit again, now I don't want to ride it out there again, I gotta oil leak that I can't address without a "complete" tear down and it's getting worse. Refil again and do about a thirty mile ride, oil is down again. Now she's parked til I do the tear down.

I spend a couple months sourcing every gasket, seal and o ring in the engine plus a new set of rings. Next a couple of weeks ago I set aside three days over Memorial day weekend. My buddy here in town is an instructor at MMI and spent many years as a factory rep for Suzuki. I take the Zook over there and by the time I leave his house we have her down to nothing.

I Spend the next day cleaning everything down to the last nut and bolt and measuring everything bore, bearing clearance, gear or whatever that has spec in the manual. I strip both cases, cylinder block, head and valve cover, wash, dry and paint with VHT bare silver caliper paint good for 950 degrees F. I was all jacked up, I was getting personalized instruction from a factory trained rep that teaches this stuff for a living, AND we have Beer!!

By that night we have the case back together, preparing the gasket surfaces on the cylinder and head.

Day three starts early, it's nearing the first of June here and that is normally when the average temps here get to the ton. I get the head back on it and torque it up. Eric published a video on engine removal and install recently that made that part of it effortless. Leaving the rotor and timing plate off when you install gives you a good handle on the motor, then it's just balance and leverage. Went in easy, 5 min max.

Didn't take any photos after these, had everything buttoned up and cranked her up at around 4:00 that afternoon, put about a hundred mi. on it that evening, adjusted cables, tweaked on the carbs and now everything is right in the universe. I changed the oil at 450 mi. and nothing at all except for a little sheen when you view it in sunlight from the rings seating.

I'm adjusting the valves tomorrow, re tourqing the head bolts and cleaning the air filter again, she shoul be good to go for an additional 80k or so.

MarloBramble, myself and a couple of others are leaving on the 28th for Telluride, CO and parts unknown. 1700 mi., four days of great curves, a sweet ride, camping in the mountains around a campfire and a bottle of Jack, it just don't get any better than that.

I will have evidence...

Cheers

Awesome story, it was a joy to read....and the pics help....

Have a great time on your next adventure....

Cheers

Comment

3 days unbelievable wrenching. Very impressive. This whole story has me very worried though. Trevor and I did a two day trip and I noticed on my return that my oil was way down. The bikes not loosing it anywhere but now I had better check my final drive oil level. I had a leak a month ago from the final drive and just swapped it out with another one and problem fixed (there was no engine oil loose at that time but I had only put 600kms on the bike since restore and top end rebuild). The final drive isn't leaking right now but the oil had to go somewhere. Great story.
      Rob
      1983 1100ES, 98' ST1100, 02' DR-Z400E and a few other 'bits and pieces'
      Are you on the GSR Google Earth Map yet? http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=170533

Comment

Nice wrenching story. Great job !!
        Larry D
        1980 GS450S
        1981 GS450S
        2003 Heritage Softtail

Comment

Seems a little extreme, just to make the outside of the engine look clean again
          '83 GS650G
          '83 GS550es (didn't like the colours in the 80's, but they've grown on me)

Comment

Very nice job, looks like new,Brian

Ride Safe

Comment

Originally posted by GateKeeper View Post
              Awesome story, it was a joy to read....and the pics help....

Have a great time on your next adventure....

Cheers
              Thanks GateKeeper..

Comment

Originally posted by azr View Post
                3 days unbelievable wrenching. Very impressive. This whole story has me very worried though. Trevor and I did a two day trip and I noticed on my return that my oil was way down. The bikes not loosing it anywhere but now I had better check my final drive oil level. I had a leak a month ago from the final drive and just swapped it out with another one and problem fixed (there was no engine oil loose at that time but I had only put 600kms on the bike since restore and top end rebuild). The final drive isn't leaking right now but the oil had to go somewhere. Great story.
                Thanks azr,

Is yours dumping it out? I kinda think this was not the first time this has happened to mine, there was evidence of some light rust on the counter shaft which is what took out the seals around there, also some on the driven gear. It was leaking into the drive shaft tunnel also, so that could be your problem.

Try pulling the boot off of the drive flange and checking, you can do that without removing anything, I did have some in there.

Cheers

Comment

Originally posted by BigD_83 View Post
                  Seems a little extreme, just to make the outside of the engine look clean again
                  Well, getting the engine clean and looking new was just a bonus, one of those "as long as I'm in here" kinda things.

Comment

Thanks Guys..

Comment

Working...
                    X