#1 Cylinder problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

#1 Cylinder problem

I bought this bike nearly two months ago - a 1979 GS750E. Following a suggestion from a friend, I checked both exhaust pipes and found that the left side pipe was not nearly as powerful as the right. Upon further inspection, I found that after running for 5 min or so, #1 cylinder was warm, whereas the other 3 were HOT!

What things should I check to diagnose/correct the problem? Coils, compression test, any others?

I recently cleaned the carbs, put new plugs on it, and cleaned the plug wires, and adjusted the valves. Is there something I'm missing?

A good carb synch?

Comment

Yep, that's what I would do first. Sync 'em up !!
      Larry D
      1980 GS450S
      1981 GS450S
      2003 Heritage Softtail

Comment

Thanks, I'll try to do that tonight! Should I colortune it before I sync the carbs?

Comment

is the pipe still only warm after 5 minutes of riding or just idling?
          if it is 5 minutes of riding then it is not a synch problem.
          1978 GS1085.

Just remember, an opinion without 3.14 is just an onion!

Comment

Colortune before and after

Comment

Originally posted by Agemax View Post
              is the pipe still only warm after 5 minutes of riding or just idling?
              if it is 5 minutes of riding then it is not a synch problem.
              Just idling. I haven't ridden her yet as she needed new tires, bearings, brakes, etc...

Comment

i would say that cylinder in not firing, the warmth you feel is probly just heat picked up from the cylinder next to it
                oz

Comment

Well, I wasn't able to do the carb sync last night. We had some friends over and, well, you know how that goes! I hope to get that taken care of on my day off (Monday). I'll keep you all posted with my results.

Comment

Working...
                  X