ring end gap question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

ring end gap question

So I'm putting my 80 gs1100e back together with 75mm bores and pistons. What should the ring end gap be? By my math according to the wiseco chart the top ring should be just over .013" but they are more like .006". Did the last guy who did motor work on it just mess up or am I wrong?

Here ya go, straight from the factory manual.

sigpic
    mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
    hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
    #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
    #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
    Family Portrait
    Siblings and Spouses
    Mom's first ride
    Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
    (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Ok thanks a lot! I was going off of wiseco's sheet that says multiply bore size by .0045" for street applications. So if I'm reading this right I can be anywhere from .004" - .012" on my end gap and be ok?

Comment

I think I would go by the Wiesco numbers and not OE specs. I vaguely remember something like 0.013" but it has been a couple years since I did my 1166.

Comment

Do NOT use the Suzuki specs!!! The WISECO specs are CORRECT!!! You will butt the ring gaps & kill the cylinders once the rings expand with heat if the ring end gaps are too small! I REALLY wish anyone giving advice would check to make SURE they know what they are talking about before advising people. Ray.

Comment

He never said he was using Wiseco pistons.

I REALLY wish people would include the pertinent technical details on technical posts.

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

I said I was using the Wiseco chart... sorry for the confusion.

Comment

So just to clarify yes they are Wiseco pistons and rings.

Comment

And Wiseco pistons?
                  Ths stuff matters.

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

I'm not bein a smart a** so don't take it that way but why would someone use a Wiseco chart and not Wiseco pistons? Either way thanks a lot for the help. Its awfully weird that my ring end gaps on the old rings are only about .006" but then again that could be the reason my 4th cylinder was toast .

Comment

Originally posted by m.qualls89 View Post
                      I'm not bein a smart a** so don't take it that way but why would someone use a Wiseco chart and not Wiseco pistons? Either way thanks a lot for the help. Its awfully weird that my ring end gaps on the old rings are only about .006" but then again that could be the reason my 4th cylinder was toast .
                      Yep to tight of a ring gap.
                      Never go less than .004 for every inch of bore size so if you are at 75mm bore which is close to 3'' bore your ring gap should be at least .011 no less.

Ray,
                      It is amazing how much people miss read a post and then give bad info.
                      My stable
                      84 GSX1100EFG-10.62 @ 125 mph 64'' W/B.
                      85 GS1150-9.72@146mph stock W/B.
                      88 GSXR1100-dragbike 9.18@139.92mph/5.68@118mph.
                      98 Bandit 1200-9.38@146mph/6.02@121mph.
                      90 Suzuki GS 1425cc FBG Pro Stock chassis 5.42@124mph
                      06 GSXR750 10.44@135mph
                      00 Honda elite 80 pit bike

Comment

Originally posted by tkent02 View Post
                        He never said he was using Wiseco pistons.

I REALLY wish people would include the pertinent technical details on technical posts.

Do you know of any OE 75mm pistions?

Comment

Originally posted by m.qualls89 View Post
                          75mm pistions are 3mm over size and are definitely not stock and so definitely should not use the OE specs. Steve was just a little fast making his suggestion. I'm sure he did not realize what you had.

Comment

Working...
                          X