engine rattle 82 1100E

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

engine rattle 82 1100E

Wondering if anyone can help me diagnose a rattle in my motor by listening to this video . 82 gs 1100 E some of mechanical things done since I have owned the bike include . Carbs cleaned rebuilt and synced valves adjusted to speck I keep thinking the noise is coming from the clutch but I have been thru it by the book at least 3 or 4 times . inner and outer housing are decent Bearings seem fine slotted washer facing the correct way plates and springs are new . Just replaced the little rubber bumper the parts fiche calls the driven gear cushion put on a new hub nut and bendy washer . Noise is still there bike runs out good and strong except for the hideous rattle . Any help is much appreciated http://s1024.photobucket.com/user/rn...10233.mp4.html

sounds like you are running on 3 cylinders

there might some clutch rattle but that is not the loudest thing i hear.

Comment

Originally posted by 70GT View Post
      Wondering if anyone can help me diagnose a rattle in my motor by listening to this video . 82 gs 1100 E some of mechanical things done since I have owned the bike include . Carbs cleaned rebuilt and synced valves adjusted to speck I keep thinking the noise is coming from the clutch but I have been thru it by the book at least 3 or 4 times . inner and outer housing are decent Bearings seem fine slotted washer facing the correct way plates and springs are new . Just replaced the little rubber bumper the parts fiche calls the driven gear cushion put on a new hub nut and bendy washer . Noise is still there bike runs out good and strong except for the hideous rattle . Any help is much appreciated http://s1024.photobucket.com/user/rn...10233.mp4.html
      have you checked your valve clearance>?? do you happen to have a Harbor Freight near you>?? when I had (still have) a knocking, I used a mechanics stethoscope to chase it down....($2.99)

Comment

Originally posted by posplayr View Post
        sounds like you are running on 3 cylinders

there might some clutch rattle but that is not the loudest thing i hear.
        Will surely look into that thanks

Comment

Originally posted by RobG1970 View Post
          have you checked your valve clearance>?? do you happen to have a Harbor Freight near you>?? when I had (still have) a knocking, I used a mechanics stethoscope to chase it down....($2.99)

http://www.harborfreight.com/mechani...ope-41966.html
          Valves are fine mentioned that in my post . I used a regular stethoscope already couldn't pinpoint it . The mechanics version looks better suited to the task . Thanks

Comment

Originally posted by 70GT View Post
            Valves are fine mentioned that in my post . I used a regular stethoscope already couldn't pinpoint it . The mechanics version looks better suited to the task . Thanks
            I thought the same, then I found a valve stuck open and slapping the top of my piston. Now I have a valve job in my near future. When your bike if running and hot, you can spray a mist of water onto the headers, if the water jumps off the are firing, if the water kind of just stays there, the cylinder is not firing.

Comment

Originally posted by RobG1970 View Post
              I thought the same, then I found a valve stuck open and slapping the top of my piston. Now I have a valve job in my near future. When your bike if running and hot, you can spray a mist of water onto the headers, if the water jumps off the are firing, if the water kind of just stays there, the cylinder is not firing.
              I just set my valves about 200 miles ago but I will not completely rule that out tomorrow I will make sure I am running on all 4 .

Comment

These GS1100 clutches are notorious for their rattling problems, usually it's the big nut that loosens up, aside from that there's springs on the backing plate that compress that folks shim with washers.

If you do a search on "clutch rattle" you'll come up with lots of threads on the subject.
                sigpic
                Steve
                "The world is a book, and those who do not travel read only one page."

Comment

Cam chain tensioner malfunction creating excess slack in the cam chain allowing it to rub the inside of the cases??

Comment

Working...
                  X