GS850 Carb help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

GS850 Carb help

i have this 1980 gs850 i rescued, and its been running rough, it just doesn't sound good on the left side of the motor. The exhaust sounds really muddy is the best way i can describe it. so i dove into the carbs this afternoon. the diaphragms in 3/4 are good, one doesn't raise all of the way but still forms a vacuum. Everything is so rusted shut on the top end and the bottom that i was only able to get into one of the dang carbs to degunk. after about 2 hours worth of swearing i have given up, because i don't want to strip the screws. my question is would it be better to just get new carbs if they have been neglected so hard?

It was stock when i got it ($free.95) and i did alot of mods to it, frame, paint, bars, etc. because it ran OK-ish.. and was fun to bomb around on.
    but now i am getting into the important stuff.

On the new carb topic, i haven't been able to locate any BS32ss carbs for sale, I LOOKED! haha. what other carb set up would work for this killer bike? if i could get it running right it would be a screamer!

Full motor tear down is slated for this winter.

That thing is killer brother! Love it! Dirty. I think with some patience you should be able to find a carb set on ebay or look if someone on here if selling a full set. I just found a full set for $100 on ebay. You could even try looking for some local salvage yards even Craigslist. Guys sell their bikes for $400 for parts. If you could dip them as is you should be able to get them loose. Have you tried that?

I also just looked on ebay and found a decent set in bidding right now. Type in "Suzuki gs carb". You'll find something brother.
    Last edited by Guest; 06-16-2013, 11:59 AM.

Comment

Greetings and Salutations!!

Hi Mr. Roadflare,

You'll find proper carb rebuild instructions on my little website, along with a lot of other maintenance tasks that need to be performed. You must properly address each and every item on the maintenance lists in your "mega-welcome". Skipping steps or taking shortcuts will cause frustration at best, death and destruction at worst. Seriously.

If you are here you probably have a 30 year old motorcycle that needs about 20 years worth of maintenance. In the links below you'll find maintenance lists, documentation, wiring diagrams, "how to" guides, vendor links, tips, tricks, and a whole lot of GS goodness. This is your "mega-welcome". Let's get started.

Let me dump a TON of information on you and share some GS lovin'.

I just stopped by to welcome you to the forum in my own, special way.

If there's anything you'd like to know about the Suzuki GS model bikes, and most others actually, you've come to the right place. There's a lot of knowledge and experience here in the community. Come on in and let me say "HOoooowwwDY!"....

Here is your very own magical, mystical, mythical, mind-expanding "mega-welcome". Please take notice of the "Top 10 Common Issues", "Top 15 Tips For GS Happiness", the Carb Cleanup Series, and the Stator Papers. All of these tasks must be addressed in order to have a safe, reliable machine. This is what NOT to do: Top 10 Newbie Mistakes. Now let me roll out the welcome mat for you...

Please Click Here For Your Mega-Welcome, chock full of tips, suggestions, links to vendors, and other information. Then feel free to visit my little BikeCliff website where I've been collecting the wisdom of this generous community. Don't forget, we like pictures! Not you, your bike!

More links to helpful threads in the forum:
      Help! Your Bike Won't Start
      DON'T DO THESE THINGS
      Help! Your Bike Won't Run Well
      Oh God! Pods!

Thanks for joining us. Keep us informed.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

My question would be: if the left side of the engine sounds "muddy", why are you reporting on the condition of carbs 3&4?

Carb #1 is on the left, under your clutch hand, carb #4 is on the right, under your throttle hand.

sigpic
        mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
        hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
        #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
        #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
        Family Portrait
        Siblings and Spouses
        Mom's first ride
        Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
        (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Clean the carbs!!
          sigpic

82 GS850
          78 GS1000
          04 HD Fatboy

...............................____
          .................________-|___\____
          ..;.;;.:;:;.,;.|__(O)___|____/_(O)|

Comment

Do you have an impact driver? These make short work of stubborn screws:

A word of caution, though: You have to be really careful dealing with delicate objects made out of soft metal. Like carburetors. I had to use my impact driver to ungang the carbs from the brackets holding them together. (I don't think I used it on the diaphragm caps or float bowls.) And I had someone help me by holding the carbs steady while I whacked on them. And I had a folded up towel underneath to absorb some of the shock.

Worse case: the diaphragm caps and float bowl screws can be drilled out easily. Use left-hand drill bits, not any kind special screw extractor device. Then go to the hardware store for replacement (stainless steel) screws. I recommend the stainless steel allen head variety, if you can find them.
            Charles
            --
            1979 Suzuki GS850G

Read BassCliff's GSR Greeting and Mega-Welcome!

Comment

I have a full set of cv's off my 1980 gs850 if your interested in another set. BTW doesnt this belong in the carb section now?
              Last edited by mvalenti; 06-19-2013, 08:33 AM.
              -Mark
              Boston, MA
              Suck Squeeze Bang Blow..
              sigpic
              1980 GS850G with 79 carbs.....

Comment

Working...
              X