Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

gs1100 wont start...

Hey guys, here's my situation:
    I bought my gs1100gl a little while back. I rode it around the block probably 10 times and it always fired right up, every time and ran very good.
    While waiting for parts to come in, I didn't start it for about 3 weeks. I was planning to ride it but it seemed the battery was dead. The battery I have was bought last summer (as the previous owner told me)
    I attempted to use a jumper box to start it, and all it would do was crank very slow. After that, I attempted to roll start it. It almost seemed to want to try to start, but never "hit" fast enough to give me much hope. Next, I bought a slow charger, charged it for 5 hours. It will turn over very fast, but nothing more. I pulled a plug and am getting spark. I loosened the fuel line from the cock and gas ran out, so my petcock has not got stuck. I tested the resistance of my coils, one read 4.0, while the.other read 4.1
    I'm not sure what to try next, as I know nothing at all about motorcycles, especially older ones. Is there some sort of "check list" someone can inform me of to start weeding out possible problems?? Thanks for any advise or suggestions

What year is this and do you understand "PR" spot on petcock? Do you understand use of "choke" ? Since you said it was sparking at plugs, next time you go acranking, pull a spark plug and see if it looks slightly wet - no sense cranking if no fuel is making it to cylinders.
    If you didn't keep last years battery charged up from time to time over winter, it's probably no good.
    You have seen Basscliff's site , right?
    1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

Yes, prime. I believe I had read that you leave it turned to "pr" for at least 30 seconds, then you are good to attempt to start. Correct?
      No, I hadn't pulled a plug after cranking. I guess I'd just got ahead of myself.
      After the charge yesterday, the battery is very strong, so that is all good now. I just didn't want to leave any detail of what I'd done out.
      And no I have not saw that site. I'll check it out now! thank you

Comment

Working...
      X