Is There A Place Common For Oil To Leak On 81 GS650E's

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Is There A Place Common For Oil To Leak On 81 GS650E's

Before I go digging in and buy gasket kits and what not, is there some doo dad in there that is known to leak? It comes from the left side of the engine.

Could it just be that the bolts are loose on the sump or elsewhere?

Thanks

Nate

Lots of places for leaks to crop up...the valve cover gasket and half moons are common culprits, apparently.

Are we talking stains on the engine, or pools under the bike?

Post up some pics, Nate
    '83 GS650G
    '83 GS550es (didn't like the colours in the 80's, but they've grown on me)

Comment

Valve cover, half moons, cam chain tensioner and tach drive seem to lead the list of oil drippers
      1978 GS 1000 (since new)
      1979 GS 1000 (The Fridge, superbike replica project)
      1978 GS 1000 (parts)
      1981 GS 850 (anyone want a project?)
      1981 GPZ 550 (backroad screamer)
      1970 450 Mk IIID (THUMP!)
      2007 DRz 400S
      1999 ATK 490ES
      1994 DR 350SES

Comment

Clean the engine (Gunk engine degreaser works well).

Dry the engine without running (leaf blower works well).

Spray engine with foot powder spray or similar.

Start engine and watch closely for where the leakage is coming from.

Fix leak.

Done
        Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

Okay, thanks for all the ideas. I wouldnt say pooling. it drips after riding extensively and slowly winds down maybe leaving a doughnut hole spot on the ground. Or perhaps a small, hostess size regular doughnut.

I just replaced the valve cover gasket when I adjusted the valves a month ago or so. It's definitely coming from the bottom.

Could bolts on the looser side be the issue? (Hoping to be lucky)

As far as the spray and search method....would most, if not all possibilities be fully exposed that I could cancel out the possibility of leak originating behind any engine covers?

Comment

Originally posted by NateTheNewb View Post
            As far as the spray and search method....would most, if not all possibilities be fully exposed that I could cancel out the possibility of leak originating behind any engine covers?
            There are four "engine covers" on your bike.
            1. Left front - stator cover. Has its own gasket, any leaks will be apparent.
            2. Left rear - shifter cover. Has no gasket of its own, can be removed to see if anything is leaking behind it. Behind it are the gear indicator switch and clutch pushrod.
            3. Right front - ignition cover. Has a gasket, but there is no oil behind it, unless the crank end seal is leaking.
            4. Right rear - clutch cover. Has its own gasket, any leaks will be apparent.

As previously mentioned, there are also possibilities from the timing chain tensioner, valve cover (including the half-moons), head gasket and base gasket. Not previously mentioned would be the o-ring on the starter nose. That is behind the stator cover (#1 above), and can let oil into the starter cavity, which would then drip down the "mystery hole" to the bottom.

sigpic
            mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
            hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
            #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
            #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
            Family Portrait
            Siblings and Spouses
            Mom's first ride
            Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
            (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Steve, you're awesome. I swear you're checkin every morning to see who needs help out there. Thanks a bunch, if I could meet you in person I'd take you to lunch, or help you remove an engine or something!YOu're much appreciated.

I'm bettin its 1, 2 or the oil pan. After that I'm syncing my carbs again. She's not doing what she's told between 5 and 7K RPM's. I wonder how much, if any that has to do with the oil leak...

Thanks again....Nate

Comment

I check often, but at no set times.

I also try to provide just enough correct answers to silence the guys who think I'm a real jerk.

sigpic
                mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
                hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
                #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
                #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
                Family Portrait
                Siblings and Spouses
                Mom's first ride
                Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
                (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Originally posted by Steve View Post

I also try to provide just enough correct answers to silence the guys who think I'm a real jerk.

And after they have been silenced you just make stuff up?
                  http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v5...tatesMap-1.jpg

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Don't forget the starter o-ring.
                    1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
                    1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

Alright, I hope I still have everyone's attention here. I discovered my oil pan bolts were quite loose. I tightened them, drove it hard enough to make it leak, which it didn't. I thought perhaps that was the issues but I took it for an extended ride and it started leaking more than it ever has. Maybe the loose sump bolts served as some sort of relief for the actual trouble area. It left a six to seven inch oil spot in about a 30-45 minute window. What component, on th left side could leave that large of a leak? Tomorrow my first order of business is to remove the back left cover and see what I can find.

Could that amount be coming from any number of different spots or is thee a prime suspect I should know about?

Thanks, Nate

Comment

Remember that the bike leans to the lft while on the center stand,so you cannot discount midle and right side issues. All of the aforementined spots could leak down and eventually get to ground. The valve cover and half moons seem the least likely, but are are easy to check.

It doesn't take much oil to leave that big a spot, but you really should not have any. I say degrease your engine and find the spot with baby powder. (you may have more than one leak)
                        '83 GS650G
                        '83 GS550es (didn't like the colours in the 80's, but they've grown on me)

Comment

So is there any reason that the engine would decide not to run with front sprocket cover off? I took it off to watch it run and see if I could get it to leak, which it wouldn't, so I thought the leak may be coming more from around the front sprocket seal or something that would change with the bike in motion and not just parked. As soon as I pulled away with that cover off, it died and wouldn't start again.

Comment

So, that's a negative, for whatever reason it decided to flood.

Now I've ran it, hard enough to repeat the oil issue, and I cantget it to leak again. I guess that's a good thing? I checked the oil level, it was still there to leak out.

If the engine had too much oil to begin with, what's the first avenue it would take to get out of there? It almost appears as if its coming through motor mounts? That's not a possibility is it? I wouldn't see those being engineered that they'd go all the way through.

Also, with my crankcase breather really pushing out due to bad rings, could having a filter on that potentially back it up creating more pressure?

Just thinking out loud here. Is that weird that I want my bike to leak? Haha!

Comment

Working...
                            X