Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by GateKeeper View Post
    yes it is the coil.....

I swapped the other one to this side plugged in the wires and I get spark out of both leads, plug in the bad coil and no spark out of one of the leads, and always the same lead, I put the bad one on the other side, still the same, one lead shows no spark at all..

Maybe it's just the wire, or the conection, or maybe just the spark plug cap?
    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v5...tatesMap-1.jpg

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

which bike are bike are you working on again>>?? I was peeking at EBAY and seen a few...

Comment

Originally posted by tkent02 View Post
        tried every combination I could think of.....no spark out the one side of the one coil...

changed it all, the lead, the cap, one side to the other....and just no spark on the one coil, I get 3 out 4 sparking

This is on the 1983 GS750E Suzuki...

Comment

Originally posted by RobG1970 View Post
          try this place, Brenda there is really quick to reply... http://www.bikeboneyard.com/
          listed

coils--$35/piece

that's 70 bucks for the 2...half of what brand new ones cost more or less...

need to find something cheaper

like 30 bucks for the pair of them, with the leads and caps....

if possible

Comment

I'll send you a coil for shipping,heck I'll send you both of them.Probably won't cost any more to do both.

Comment

Originally posted by SVSooke View Post
              I'll send you a coil for shipping,heck I'll send you both of them.Probably won't cost any more to do both.
              You got a deal.....

Tell me they are working, and tell he how much.....

I can do Paypal or EMT......

you ship I pay....

I am a happy camper......

Comment

I'll have to check them some how.Guessing I can just hook them up to the 85 and see.

Comment

As long as they work long enough to get my bike going, once I know I am up and running again, I will probably invest in some new ones......

I don't want them to crap out on me again....

Thanks once again....

Last edited by Guest; 06-23-2013, 02:01 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by tkent02 View Post
                    Yes, that coil fires 1 and 4, so if 4 is firing, the coil is working. It is the lead to 1 that is not working. Probably is a bad spark plug cap causing the problem.

I also still think the carbs are out of synch because it should start even if the spark plug lead to #1 is disconnected. (unless all the carbs are out) heh
                    Last edited by earlfor; 06-23-2013, 01:57 PM.
                    Komorebi-The light filtering through the trees.

I would rather sit on a pumpkin and have it all to myself than be crowded on a velvet cushion. H.D.T.

Comment

Originally posted by earlfor View Post
                      Yes, that coil fires 1 and 4, so if 4 is firing, the coil is working. It is the lead to 1 that is not working. Probably is a bad spark plug cap causing the problem.

I also still think the carbs are out of synch because it should start even if the spark plug lead to #1 is disconnected. (unless all the carbs are out) heh
                      1/2 the coil is not working.....

I changed the lead, I changed the cap, I changed the plug, I moved it to the other side and tried.......I pulled the lead for #4 and stuck it #1 no spark, but always a spark on #4 no matter what lead, cap, plug or feed from the bike.

there is absolutely no spark on one of the leads on the this one coil it is kaput....

Comment

I don't know if you want to bother with it, but I think BassCliff has a tutorial on reseating the plug wire to the coil. If I remember right, you have to dig it out, clean it, and epoxy it back in. That sounds like your problem. You're probably getting tired of all these opinions by now.
                        1983 GS 1100 Guided Laser
                        1983 GS 1100 G
                        2000 Suzuki Intruder 1500, "Piggy Sue"
                        2000 GSF 1200 Bandit (totaled in deer strike)
                        1986 Suzuki Cavalcade GV 1400 LX (SOLD)

I find working on my motorcycle mildly therapeutic when I'm not cursing.

Comment

Originally posted by 1948man View Post
                          I don't know if you want to bother with it, but I think BassCliff has a tutorial on reseating the plug wire to the coil. If I remember right, you have to dig it out, clean it, and epoxy it back in. That sounds like your problem. You're probably getting tired of all these opinions by now.
                          I agree. The coil is not divided internally, only the leads are individual.
                          Picking out the epoxy around the #1 wire from the coil is tedious though.
                          Easier to replace the coil.
                          Komorebi-The light filtering through the trees.

I would rather sit on a pumpkin and have it all to myself than be crowded on a velvet cushion. H.D.T.

Comment

You are correct earl. Sounds like the high tension wire itself. It is either faulty or the connection is bad. Either way you would have to dig it out.
                            Personally, if I went to all that trouble I would just replace it rather than just trying to reseat it.
                            They can break in the middle, although it is rare.

Comment

Originally posted by 1948man View Post
                              Originally posted by earlfor View Post
                              I agree. The coil is not divided internally, only the leads are individual.
                              Picking out the epoxy around the #1 wire from the coil is tedious though.
                              Easier to replace the coil.
                              Originally posted by koolaid_kid View Post
                              You are correct earl. Sounds like the high tension wire itself. It is either faulty or the connection is bad. Either way you would have to dig it out.
                              Personally, if I went to all that trouble I would just replace it rather than just trying to reseat it.
                              They can break in the middle, although it is rare.
                              nothing to dig out, both leads are held in by a plstic clip that is attached to the coil, no epoxy, no nothing, they push in they pull out, very easy....

I did take pictures however I did not have a chance to upload them and post them here....

It's the one half of the coil, it's dead, it's not producing a spark....

I appreciate all the suggestions, but none apply to the coils I have...

as stated.....

I pulled the wires out of the coil, I swapped out the leads, the plugs, the caps, and always one side will not produce a spark, it don't matter what lead is on it, what cap, what spark plug it does not give off a spark.

when I get home tonight I will upload the pics and you can see what these coils look like and how they are constructed, how the leads are attached and so on....

I have a set of coils coming in from SVSooke, hopefully his are working and all I will need to do is plug them in and the bike should once again be up and running...

now since I did tear apart the carbs, I will do sync on them to make sure they are in optimum running condition as well....

Thanks once agin for all the input.

Cheers

Comment

here is a picture of the coils, these are the same as mine, but are my replacements as SVSooke has them and is willing to part with them...

you can see in the pic how they are constructed and put together

Comment

Working...
                                X