Cylinder wall dirty after degreaser

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cylinder wall dirty after degreaser

After breaking two exhaust header bolts in the head, I am in the process of replacing my head on my 1979 GS750, bone stock. I have removed everything down to the cases and I have all gaskets to reseal everything back up.

Currently, I just degreased and power washed my block, head, and intake. After degreasing the cylinder block, the piston sleeves immediately flash rusted. DOH! They are still nice and smooth, no damage at all.

My question is, how can I clean them up without removing metal?

I have searched and can't come up with too much info. Everything talks about reboring or honing, I dont need or want to do that.

Hone them with a ball hone and WD-40
    1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
    1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

That seems pretty abrasive from what ive seen online.

They are also over $100 at Napa! Anything cheaper?

Comment

very fine (1000 grit) wet and dry,soaked in engine oil will clean them up, and prevent any further rusting
        1978 GS1085.

Just remember, an opinion without 3.14 is just an onion!

Comment

You should do a hone anyway to seat the rings.
          1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
          1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

IMHO, anytime you disturb the pistons/rings, you need to run some kind of hone through the cylinders to break the glaze. I have a three shoe hone I use, MUCH cheaper. The rings have to seat in again.
            Last edited by Guest; 06-20-2013, 05:02 PM.

Comment

yeah, or a hone, 3 legged type with loads of oil, that will deglaze and lubricate the bores at the same time. you should use oil with a hone anyway
              1978 GS1085.

Comment

I see the three prong hones are cheap! I will go that route.

I spent so much time getting the damn 34 year old gaskets off I want no more hand action! Unless shes cute

Thanks for the help!
                Last edited by Guest; 06-20-2013, 05:16 PM.

Comment

The hone I picked up is a three prong with 220 grit stones. Thats all the auto store had.

Is this grit advisable?

Can't belive im going to do this... I better watch some youtube videos

Comment

you need to accurately measure the bores before you start. make sure you dont start overboring the motor!!!! just a few passes with plenty of oil to lubricate will do the job
                    1978 GS1085.

Comment

You really need a ball hone. They are less than $50 for one, try
                      http://www.enginehones.com

The one you bought is going to do more damage than good if you are not careful. Use 220 or 320 with plenty of honing oil. You only want to clean up the bore not try and resize it. About 30 seconds in each bore should be enough. Start the hone spinning before you insert it and move it in and out rapidly. After you are done wash each bore with hot soapy water and a nylon bristle brush. Bore should come out clean when a paper towel is wiped over the surface.

Comment

A flex hone is far superior to a three stone hone for breaking the glaze on a used cylinder. Three stone hinges will skip over any low areas, but the dingoball hone will get right in there. 320 grit is ideal, but 240 will get the job done fine. Enginehones.com has good prices. I suggest you use the proper tool for the job.
                        Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

Working...
                        X