Need help identifying part

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Need help identifying part

The parts picture is highlighting a hole that has a bolt and rubber type washer on my bike, it is inside of the oil filter cavity. Does anyone know what the bolt and rubber grommet is for. The Oil Cooler?

I should have taken a picture before replacing the Oil filter cover.

Thanks,

yep, i believe that is for the oil cooler take off.
    1978 GS1085.

Just remember, an opinion without 3.14 is just an onion!

Comment

Yes, that engine was designed for an oil cooler but was never offered. I purchased an 1150 cooler for my GS, made my own stainless steel lines, and installed the cooler using those two inlet/outlet holes. Looked very stock. Engine temps dropped way down; I was very pleased.

Comment

Yes that hole is for the oil cooler line. I highlighted the wrong hole. This is the correct highlighted area.

Thanks, Agemax
        Last edited by Guest; 06-22-2013, 07:09 PM.

Comment

That is the current oil path to your filter. If you install a cooler, that hole needs to be restricted so oil flows to the cooler as well as the filter.

Comment

Originally posted by koolaid_kid View Post
            That is the current oil path to your filter. If you install a cooler, that hole needs to be restricted so oil flows to the cooler as well as the filter.
            Thats what I was thinking. I did not install the Lockhart oil cooler my brother did. Every time I changed the filter I would wonder what the plug was for.

Thanks....koolaid_kid

Comment

Working...
            X