GS 650 GLZ Starter Install

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

GS 650 GLZ Starter Install

I have a 1982 Suzuki gs 650 GLZ, I had to replace the starter. But now I cannot get the new starter to slide into housing. The replacement starter is the exact same size as the old one. When I look inside the housing there is some type of gear sitting up inside the housing not allowing the new starter to go in. I cannot move the gear up or down. Please help I am at a loss.

Wiggle it around it will slide in. The starter has an o ring on it that may give you some resistance.

Comment

You may also try rotating the starter armature just slightly. (The starter shaft.)

Comment

While I'm here--- hey overboostin, how you doing down there?
        1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

thanks for the reply it looks like I have the wrong one is their a way to take the two a part to make one good one like the one on left???

Comment

Originally posted by 82Suzuki View Post
            thanks for the reply it looks like I have the wrong one is their a way to take the two a part to make one good one like the one on left???
            If if it's the same maker (Nippo denso?), you'd think so, BUT I ain't sure as I haven't done it. I'd guess just the end cap is different. If you are game,find out!
            The replacement starter you got is likely the one for 550, 750 and 850, so it's very popular and easy to resell.
            1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

That end contains the brushes which rub against the copper section of the armature. The brushes are spring loaded. The cap slides onto the armature and has a bushing in it for support.
              I can't see them being different, it would have cost too much money to produce two completely different ones.
              What I would do is this: Remove the cap from the old one. See how it is assembled.
              Remove the cap from the (new to you) one. Put a caliper on the shaft to measure the diameter and length of the shaft. If they are the same, you will be able to swap them. Now check the brushes in each. You'll want to use the best brushes.
              Now practice putting the new cap on the old starter. You'll understand once you try. It takes a bit of practice.
              When you are confident you have it down, clean out the bushing on the old cap and add just a touch of grease to lube the bushing. Go to town.
              Good luck.

Comment

Thank you for the details yes that was the problem the back cap was wrong I swapped the guts and it slid right in. I decompressed the cam shaft tensioner when I took it out. Should I let it out after installing it onto the bike or just let it go?

Comment

Did you lock tensioner in place correctly-do you understand correct way to reinstall and unlock it/? see this link..

the tensioner is so simple, lots of folks get it wrong!
                  1981 gs650L

Comment

Originally posted by 82Suzuki View Post
                    Thank you for the details yes that was the problem the back cap was wrong I swapped the guts and it slid right in.
                    Awesome, congrats.

Comment

Greetings and Salutations!!

Hi Mr. 82Suzuki,

Congrats on your starter replacement. For more about the care and feeding of a 30 year old motorcycle, have a look at all of the information in the links below. It's your "mega-welcome".

If you are here you probably have a 30 year old motorcycle that needs about 20 years worth of maintenance. In the links below you'll find maintenance lists, documentation, wiring diagrams, "how to" guides, vendor links, tips, tricks, and a whole lot of GS goodness. This is your "mega-welcome". Let's get started.

Let me dump a TON of information on you and share some GS lovin'.

I just stopped by to welcome you to the forum in my own, special way.

If there's anything you'd like to know about the Suzuki GS model bikes, and most others actually, you've come to the right place. There's a lot of knowledge and experience here in the community. Come on in and let me say "HOoooowwwDY!"....

Here is your very own magical, mystical, mythical, mind-expanding "mega-welcome". Please take notice of the "Top 10 Common Issues", "Top 15 Tips For GS Happiness", the Carb Cleanup Series, and the Stator Papers. All of these tasks must be addressed in order to have a safe, reliable machine. This is what NOT to do: Top 10 Newbie Mistakes. Now let me roll out the welcome mat for you...

Please Click Here For Your Mega-Welcome, chock full of tips, suggestions, links to vendors, and other information. Then feel free to visit my little BikeCliff website where I've been collecting the wisdom of this generous community. Don't forget, we like pictures! Not you, your bike!

More links to helpful threads in the forum:
                      Help! Your Bike Won't Start
                      DON'T DO THESE THINGS
                      Help! Your Bike Won't Run Well
                      Oh God! Pods!

Thanks for joining us. Keep us informed.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

Working...
                      X