Missing engine mount bolt(!)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Missing engine mount bolt(!)

Just cleaning the bike and I just noticed I am missing a bolt! Nut is lost, too.
    I think I may have to remove the exhaust as it looks like mine is in the way. Stock exhaust, I'm pretty sure. Any advice appreciated. 80GS1100E
    Thanks all.
    -Bob

[IMG][/IMG]

be sure you specify which side its on if you order a new bolt or get one here..they are different lengths. Yes LOOSENING the exhaust so you can oull it away from the frame will make you some working room. You shouldnt need to fully drop it though.
    MY BIKES..1977 GS 750 B, 1978 GS 1000 C (X2)
    1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

NEVER SNEAK UP ON A SLEEPING DOG..NOT EVEN YOUR OWN.

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

if you have lost the securing nut you will need part #23 as well. it is not a normal nut in there as it locates in a recess in the crankcase
      1978 GS1085.

Just remember, an opinion without 3.14 is just an onion!

Comment

Just stole a bolt off my donor bike GL but it is too short for the E.
        I finally figured out how to get my hand it there.

I have a special nut but need bolt. grrr

Comment

just keep taking bolts off the donor bike until you find one that will fit. if its too long, cut it shorter
          1978 GS1085.

Comment

If all you need is the bolt, Ace hardware or the like should have one. I got one for my 750E there.
            Bob T. ~~ Play the GSR weekly photo game: Pic of Week Game
            '83 GS1100E ~ '24 Triumph Speed 400 ~ '01 TRIUMPH TT600 ~ '67 HONDA CUB

Comment

yep, its M10 x 60. very common size.. ride it until you can get one. its not like the engine is going to fall out
              1978 GS1085.

Comment

Be sure and get a hardened bolt. They will be in the slide out trays on top of the cabinets. (Yes, I live in my Ace when it comes to metric bolts.)

Comment

Just to say, be really careful that it is not too long, because if it is it punches a hole really easily as it tightens up.
                  sigpic

Don't say can't, as anything is possible with time and effort, but, if you don't have time things get tougher and require more effort.

Comment

Originally posted by Agemax View Post
                    yep, its M10 x 60. very common size.. ride it until you can get one. its not like the engine is going to fall out
                    OK, I will go get one today, thanks guys

Comment

Ah, I did not use a hardened bolt. crap, forgot. I had to take the exhaust bolts out of the header and I still could barely feel around in there. After about an hour of trying I was about to give up but the bolt finally went into the nut! By the way, 60mm was too long, I cut about 20mm off with a hacksaw and filed it

Comment

dont worry about the hardened bolt, it wont matter. i only said 60mm because that is the size quoted on the parts fiche. never mind at least you got one fitted now.
                        1978 GS1085.

Comment

Cool man. Only trouble I have is I think one of the exhaust headers is not in all the way, number two, uses those dumb sleeve shims. Rain here today preventing a proper test and it was 11PM when I finished last night .
                          Thanks

Originally posted by Agemax View Post
                          dont worry about the hardened bolt, it wont matter. i only said 60mm because that is the size quoted on the parts fiche. never mind at least you got one fitted now.

Comment

Working...
                          X