GS1000S oil temp. take off

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

GS1000S oil temp. take off

can the take off in the oil pressure plate for the temperature sender switch be used as a pressure take off instead?
    i want to mount an external oil pressure gauge but i dont want to use the end of the oil gallery on the r/h side just above the ignition cover.

if not, is there an adaptor i can fit that sits between the stock GS1000E oil pressure plate and the pressure sensor so i can attach a line to a pressure gauge?
    1978 GS1085.

Just remember, an opinion without 3.14 is just an onion!

Perhaps this thread willl be helpful?

This forum contains old posts which may have information which may be useful. It is a closed forum in that you can not post here any longer. Please post your questions in the other technical forums.
    '85 GS550L - SOLD
    '85 GS550E - SOLD
    '82 GS650GL - SOLD
    '81 GS750L - SOLD
    '82 GS850GL - trusty steed
    '80 GS1100L - son's project bike
    '82 GS1100G - SOLD
    '81 GS1100E - Big Red (daily rider)

Comment

Originally posted by hikermikem View Post
      Perhaps this thread willl be helpful?

http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...=adapter+plate
      yeah cheers for that link. it is on Basscliffs website too.
      i was just thinking i could use the S plate with the adaptor already there rather than make one myself.
      i have some 1/2" ali plate so i might just have a go at making my own.

thanks
      1978 GS1085.

Comment

Should be no trouble using the plate for an oil pressure take off. The later 850 and at least some of the 650 model bikes used that same plate, only it's not drilled and threaded.

The GS oiling system is extremely reliable, you more likely to have a problem by adding crap into the system than if you leave it alone though.
        Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

Originally posted by Nessism View Post
          Should be no trouble using the plate for an oil pressure take off. The later 850 and at least some of the 650 model bikes used that same plate, only it's not drilled and threaded.

The GS oiling system is extremely reliable, you more likely to have a problem by adding crap into the system than if you leave it alone though.
          yeah i was toying with fitting either a pressure gauge or a temperature gauge.
          i think with UK weather there should never be a problem with the temperature and the stock pressure switches are not 100% reliable (or the bulb can blow) so i am thinking a pressure gauge would be more beneficial
          1978 GS1085.

Comment

Top end oiler, temp sensor, oil pressure port and stator oiler all in one.

Whoops the stator oiler port was added after this picture

Comment

Originally posted by posplayr View Post
              Top end oiler, temp sensor, oil pressure port and stator oiler all in one.

Whoops the stator oiler port was added after this picture
              any more details on this?
              1978 GS1085.

Comment

Originally posted by Agemax View Post
                any more details on this?

Remember the 1100E 16V motors oil flow is different to the 8V, just thinking about it I'm not sure if it applies to yours.

Your running an cooler and you return the flow back to the back correct? You can measure pressure then after the cooler. I'm not sure if the same 16V adapter separates the outgoing flow from the return flow well enough for an 8V setup. On the 16V it is all pressurized the same under the cover.

What ever adapter, you have a drill and tap for a brass fitting should be all you need as long as you don't compromise the exit port pressure.
                Last edited by posplayr; 06-24-2013, 02:37 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by posplayr View Post
                  http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...ighlight=oiler

Remember the 1100E 16V motors oil flow is different to the 8V, just thinking about it I'm not sure if it applies to yours.

Your running an cooler and you return the flow back to the back correct? You can measure pressure then after the cooler. I'm not sure if the same 16V adapter separates the outgoing flow from the return flow well enough for an 8V setup. On the 16V it is all pressurized the same under the cover.

What ever adapter, you have a drill and tap for a brass fitting should be all you need as long as you don't compromise the exit port pressure.
                  i am not running a cooler and the top end oiler is not applicable to the 8V motor. i am more interested in the pressure gauge take off and the stator oiler looks interesting!
                  1978 GS1085.

Comment

i am not running a cooler and the top end oiler is not applicable to the 8V motor. i am more interested in the pressure gauge take off and the stator oiler looks interesting!
                    Before I got my series R/R I added the oiler port to keep from burning up the stator. 280 deg Oil is a cool and refreshing to a stator with shunt R/R

After getting the Compufire, I did not really need the oiler anymore, but it does help keep my oil pressure down., With high performance gears, the pressure can peg my 15 psi gauge.

Be for warned, that a mechanical gauge will wear out relatively quickly. The standard practice is to use an liquid filled gauge. In the last month I just disassembled my VDO 15 psi gauge and repaired the worn movement.

If you don't want to hassle with it get an electronic gauge. Much more expensive, but no wear out. Mechanical gauges are basically disposable.

The picture shows the precision movement being retrofitted with oversize bearings made of brass tubing.

Comment

any pics or details of the stator cooling set up?
                      1978 GS1085.

Comment

any pics or details of the stator cooling set up?
                        I used a oil line from the rear cover that included a fitting that I could solder fill and then drill to make the right sized sprayer port. Looks like the last drill was .079" diameter.

In the stator cover I drilled a hole and taped some threads from another brass fitting. You can see it peeking out at 3:00

see next post

Comment

I used a oil line from the rear cover that included a fitting that I could solder fill and then drill to make the right sized sprayer port. Looks like the last drill was .079" diameter.

Comment

As an alternative, among the 1000 bits I have here are oil filter cover plates with an additional 10X1.25 tapped hole. I suspect it's actually a filter drain but I've seen it used for a temp gauge sender....No idea what year or model they're from sorry.

Comment

I'm not 100% sure but I don't think there is much pressure at that point in the oil system. There's enough to open the stock oil pressure switch sensor but is there really full pressure flow there? My reasoning is that part of the plate is also used for the return flow from add on oil coolers and really has no back pressure. It's good for a temp gauge because you have high flow but don't really think there is much pressure there. Maybe you can be the one to prove or disprove or maybe Posplayer has the real answer.
                              '84 GS750EF (Oct 2015 BOM) '79 GS1000N (June 2007 BOM) My Flickr site http://www.flickr.com/photos/soates50/
                              https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4306/35860327946_08fdd555ac_z.jpg

Comment

Working...
                              X