Cam chain replacement...GR650 Tempter

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cam chain replacement...GR650 Tempter

Having looked at this kid's 650 Tempter (GR650), I believe he is going to have to replace the sprockets, chain, and tensioner. The teeth on the sprocket are grooved badly, the chain is stiff, and jumping like a fried bean, and it's WAY off the timing marks at this point. The tensioner I'm not sure about as we didn't have a narrow enough screwdriver to check it's functionality.

I know I have read a bit on here about cam chain replacement and master-link type chains, but I'll be darned as the search feature is not giving me back the results I'm looking for.

I also know that opinions vary on their use, but can anyone recommend a master-link style cam chain replacement for a GR650 Tempter, so the kid can get back on the road sooner, rather than later after splitting the cases and putting it all back together? He doesn't really have access to the required bench space for the full job.
    '83 GS650G
    '83 GS550es (didn't like the colours in the 80's, but they've grown on me)

If you are dead set against splitting the cases, you would be far better off getting a rivet-style chain and doing it that way. I have a master link on my drive chain, but there is no way I would put one on my cam chain.

Comment

KK,

Do you have any specific recommendations for a rivet-style cam chain?
      '83 GS650G

Comment

I'm not a tempter expert but I seem to remember it uses a hy-vo or Morse type camchain. If this is so it can't be replaced in place as you can not rivet this type of chain.
        If it's a single row roller chain, yes, go for it.

Comment

You may be right, GregT. The Tempter was its own special animal.
          BigD_83, sounds like you need to do a little homework first.

Comment

That's what I'm doing, looking for tips here.

It is definitely NOT a single row roller chain. I guess I need to look up what a Hy-Vo or Morse chain is.

EDIT- I do not have a photograph, but it IS a Hy-Vo or Morse type chain, based on Google Image comparison
            Last edited by BigD_83; 06-24-2013, 04:25 PM.
            '83 GS650G

Comment

Ah, I meant as in call/contact a dealer.
              If it is not a single row chain, you are splitting cases.

Comment

Yup, I've fired off a message to Z1 for some feedback there
                '83 GS650G

Comment

Working...
                X